Ford Forums banner

Turbo Kits for ye olde I6!

13K views 87 replies 33 participants last post by  fordboy1996 
#1 ·
I'm utterly surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

The latest Performanc Ford mag has an ad from a mob based in Dandenong, Vic. called Turbo Systems Australia selling, you guessed it, turbo kits! From $4995, these kits suit EF-AU Ford 6 cyls, and are supposedly complete, bolt-in kits with hand-made tuned length exhaust manifolds.

More kits coming soon, but for those keen of a turbo-six, a option on your current EF-EL?

#3 ·
GRA (aka v6 developments) are the ones behind these kits. Seems like good bang for your buck, but I think some of the hot mock cams have stolen the show of late - why not achieve similar power gains for cheaper $$$ and without having to go forced ? I'm not saying one's better than the other as I've no experience in any of these fields....yet ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

#7 ·
I saw that ad, too, but there's no mention of intercoolers or intercooler plumbing. The exit of the turbo looks like it's meant to be directly connected to the throttle body using a short length of pipe (don't forget the BOV!). It does say the kit is complete and if it does include an intercooler (which I doubt it does) then they should at least say how big it is, where it goes, how much bumper chopping needs to be done to fit it, etc, etc...

I just think the ad should've had more info, that's all, and maybe a pic of the kit installed in a car with the front bumper off so we can see everything.

/me waits for Barra XR6 and then will ring the Mock's to wave their magic wand over it!

#8 ·
The Strider is "Excited" turbo kits for AU's bring it on. $5k is decent for a turbo setup, i won't what brand turbo they'll be using.

7psi is all i need, low boost single turbo, daily driver and reliable, but has the horses to muscle a GenIII.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

#10 ·
Cams are fine if your happy with the power, and aren't keen to go much further with it. Going Turbo/supercharged allows for much more power gains, though forced induction will be incompatable with the mock cams, unless they did a cam specific for such applications.

#12 ·
Turbo? Blower?

Blower? Turbo?

Decisions, decisions!!!!

It's hard to be creative when you don't have enough money.

:bwhaaaaaa

#14 ·
CATman, you sure? I thought you didn't need them with a supercharger (but they do give benefit anyway).

With the heat generated by the compression of the turbo (and transferred heat from the exhaust side of it) you'd want an intercooler. As for the BOV, if you don't want your turbo to completely stop spinning or even spin backwards when you let off the throttle then I suppose you can omit the BOV...

I'm no expert but everyone I've talked to about turbos says you should, in fact must, have a BOV to allow the engine and turbo to work effectively and prolong engine and turbo life.

#15 ·
intercoolers are of benefit in either supercharger or turbo applications - air gets hot when compressed, both types of forced induction compress the air. the heat transfered from the exhaust side of the turbo to the intake side is minimal. BOVs only reduce lag, they are not essential to turbo operation.

i want to see what turbo setup they have on the barra XR6...how much $$$ for whole setup or for manifold & turbo... methinks 10psi is enough for my application...wwwwaaaaaahhhh.TISH.wwwwaaaaaahhhhHHHHH.TISH.WWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

#16 ·
Walk into any Jap importer and you'll see heaps of second hand turbo's for say $400.00..for a T3..Off Nissan... Go to Micksmetalcraft Villawood for a intercooler $1200.00 or $900 from Skyline.....$800.00 for exhaust manifold.$3/400.00 b.o.v or cheaper from Jap import. The rest is fabricating the pipeing..Hole in sump for return line from turbo..Steel braided oil line to turbo from engine oil pressure senser. Water lines,heater bypass for turbo cooling easy???The turbo is second hand but it gets you going and they are around $600+ to overhaul-bearings and seals may not have to..
Be easier to buy six and do it on a engine stand and have forged pistons A.R.P bolts and well ballanced internals built specifically for turbo...measure clarences from your car...Remove Mech fan [pre e/f] move radiator back closer to engine to allow plenty of room for intercooler so pipes can fit between rad and front support...So holes won't be reqired in inner guards for piping/plumbing..And can be put back as std latter...Turbo would quiet'n a cam down heaps. Any cam that can run with std ecu should be o/k with turbo.."i.m.o"

#17 ·
Gas Research in Melbourne has also got a kit for the 4.0L.Ive enquired and this is what i can remember---Series 1 Kit is 5psi with a 40%-50% increase which includes turbo,manifold,2 1/2' exhaust,intake pipe,water injection and chip,Cost is $4995.The stage 2 kit adds an air to air intercooler and increases the boost to 10lbs,this increases price by $2200-$2500.
Just dont hold your breath waiting for the company to send u any info,ive rang them twice to get some stuff emailed to me and am still waiting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.