Ford Forums banner

I might have V8 front springs in my 6cyl ED

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how I could identify whether the King springs in the front of my ED are the correct 6 cylinder ones or whether they're V8 ones.

Maybe someone with an ED XR8 or EDXR6 could measure their front spring wire diameters for me? (I'm sure any difference would have to be in wire diameter rather than number of coils?)

They are low, but not superlow - ie. they are same height as XR6 std.

#3 ·
If they are the same height as the XR6 springs, then how come you've come to the conclusion that u may have v8 springs, and why is this a problem?

I thought that the XR8 springs would be taller than the 6 ones, because of the heavier engine?

Dave

Also, does neone know how low my EA would be at the front if I put King Spring Superlows on the front only? I've got low King Springs at the moment, and the rear is a little lower than the front, and it looks shit. Would it still be legal with superlows on the front (ie, be 500mm between the middle of the headlights and the ground)??

#4 ·
Jack_Travis, the correct 6 cyl ones are KFFL-26 and the V8 ones are KFFL-52.

antigravity, part of my problem is exactly what you have - ie. with the correct "Low" rear springs the rear sits a tad lower than the front with a full tank of fuel and/or load in the rear. Also there's the "crashiness" of the front - which to be honest isn't in itself that bad as to truely concern me in and of itself, but it makes me wonder. The height I have at front is actually exactly correct XR6 spec (367mm from wheel centre to arch) - I'm buggered if I know, because I'm sure I originally measured it at about 10mm more than that (I just double checked it a few minutes ago and edited this post as a result). So yes, you'd think V8 springs would make it sit higher (?). Until recently I actually had std rear springs so this front/rear height situation has only appeared of course since the low rear springs went in.

Don't get me wrong - my handling is pretty special if I do say so myself (the wanderiness I'm hoping will be down to the Watts link bushes - which are about the only original things left in the whole suspension) - I'm really only chasing the cosmetic issue now.

I have found rear spring spacers which I've got on order (along with new Watts link bushes) - they are 10mm thick, made by SuperPro and can be bought from Whiteline. The Part Number is SPF252-10K and cost about $13 each (before GST and freight). I'll probably fit them next week, along with new spring mounts - I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 ·
Okay, I fitted the King Low (same as std XR6 spec) rear springs back into the rear along with new spring mounting pads and the Super Pro 10mm spacers and she looks perfect. The arse low situation is fixed.

Along with that I fitted new Super Pro Watts link bushes and put the Whiteline top trailing arms back to the lower holes on the axle flanges (had raised them again to troubleshoot wandery arse problem) - and now the car feels fan-tastic.

Next I'm considering fitting "comfort" option front springs (they're progressive) to make it a bit less harsh but hopefully retain the handling (the progressive rear springs are very nice in ride quality but are not too spongy at all).

Oh, and the six cylinder springs are 16mm wire, 10 coils whereas the V8 is 16mm wire, 8.5 coils. Checked mine out and they're the 10 coil ones.

#6 ·
I have lovell v8 super low springs in the front of my eb fairmont ghia. it sits the same height as my mates cat which is a ed v8 with the same springs? So the v8 springs dont make much differance in height, probabilly because the 6 weighs alot as well?

#7 ·
EB2Ghia, thanks for that info!

Yeah, that's what I sort of suspected might be the case and prompted my first post - ie. I wondered if maybe the V8 springs would actually sit similar basic height but just be stiffer in rate from there (to do with mass of the V8).

I have to admit I sort of made a guesstimate of the number of coils I have based on the info once it came to hand and what I could see from laying in front of one wheel - now I might make sure by actually jacking the car and counting properly (I'll do it tomorrow) as the difference is only 1.5 coils which could be easy to get wrong (springs mess with your head - well, mine anyway - when you try to look at them and count coils).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.