Ford Forums banner

Extractors and heat cover

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Troutman 
#1 ·
Hey all

This topic was convered once upon a time in the old eafalcon.com forums, but now time has passed and Im cashed up, I thought I would ask again

I want to get a set of extractors right, But on my strut tower next to where the headers go I have a aftermarket cruise control vaccum module. It has a heat shield but isnt the best. Mounted to the heat shield underneath is the amp fuse. Im afraid that when I bolt up the extractors im going to start melting things (even the wires heading to the cruise are nearby)

Has anyone put on a new set of headers and been able to retain a heat shield? All the exhaust places say it will be right, but i have seen how on EA/EB Falcons extractors tend to start melting things before too long.

I want the cheapest way out possible, so HPC coating or thermal wrap isnt the solution im after (i will have to resort to this eventaully though if noone can help)

And and one last thing, I have a 2.25 inch exhaust from the cat back. Will this be too small when the extractors go on? If so, how can I get the blokes to do up a cat converter that will allow me to run 2.5 inch piping when this exhaust dies (the exhaust is only a few months old, otherwise I'd replace it all)

Thanks People

PS how is my car going to look after a 30mm lowering job? I get that done tomorrow but i wanna see a pic of someone who has done it already, just so I know what im going to look at.

See less See more
#2 ·
this troubled me when I had my ea, i actually melted the casing around the o2 sensor wire, then the wire hit the extractors, fused and killed the sensor...trust me i was laughing....

i thought of getting some of that checker plate stuff and fixing it with a brace (like exhaust pipe clamp or sumpin) runin off the pipe closest to the radiator (to support the front of the plate), and the pipe closest to the firewall.(to support back of plate)

never got around to doin it though cos the ea got written off. the wiring on the eb is alot further away from the extractors for some reason so I have never had a heat problem yet

#3 ·
with the size of the pipes, I remember ages ago, luke asked some one what the difference would be between 2.25 and 2.5 " pipes. the guy apparantly said 2.25 for mid to low end power, 2.5 for top end. - it has to do with the back pressure created by the different sized pipes i guess but yeah....hope that helped

#4 ·
I made up a stainless stell cover for my extractors. I never got round to doing the finishing touches so it will probably sit on the garage floor for a few mor months when i find the time.

I moved some wires away from the extractors, and now I have no melting problems.

Also, I have extractors with a High flow cat, but still have 2.25 cat back. It does ok, but I will tell u if the performance is any better once the 2.5 goes in.

#6 ·
I just got a 2.5" manderal bent zorst put in, with 2 high flow muffs, and modified the CAT area so its all a minimum of 2.5".

I only drove the car home (Short drive) but all I will say at this stage is that I have noticed the change, engine seems to rev differently. I'll let ya know more once I take it on a proper drive and hit the go pedal hard.
I'm not expecting anything amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.