Ford Forums banner

1982 T-bird engine swap

3K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  newwave 
G
#1 ·
Hi all...
I'm looking to swap a 5.0L FI V8 out of a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon into my 1982 Ford Thunderbird which has the (carbureted) 3.8L V6 in. Anyone ever done this swap or one like it? Anything to look out for?

Thanks!

#2 ·
In all cases double check the tranny interchange guide first. If the bell housings don't match then you will be changing the whole thing. Of coarse since your 50 is Fi then you will need to pull your computer and harness. You will also need an electic fuel pump to be triggered off the computer. I am currently building a rod using a 93 4.6 and I am basically doing what you are planning. Building a car that other people think we are crazy. You will find that spending a couple hours looking through the schematics in a chiltons can rack your brain but don't give up it is very possible. You will need to remember that most of the harness from the wagon will be used. Because the relay box contains the EEC relay and other misc. Items. If you feel you would like further help on what you need and don't need from the donor I can check my manual and let you know. In my case I ended up removing over half of the body harness wires and four of the EEC wires because they would not be used in the car I'm building. Your luck is this. Your car donor cars computer doesn't look at spd sensors and such. It is simply the standard 5.0 with fuel injection. Some simple wiring and a electric fuel and you are in bussiness.

G
#3 ·
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
I don't mind swapping over the trans and computer and fuel pump, because after I do all that, the wagon's going to donate its doors and body panels to another project car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.