Ford Forums banner

Question about Fairmont Ghia diferances??

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ozklomp 
#1 ·
Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia warning beeps in trip computer??

As most of the regulars on the forums would know, i have recently done a full dash conversion in my car. I have installed full climate control and trip computer, along with all the other gear. ie. fairmont bcm and full dash loom, power windows and antenna.

My question is to do with the trip computer warning functions.
mine will beep when i leave the lights on and turn the car off or when the dte gets to 80k's or lower.

i have done a bit of reserch and found out that the fairmont and xr6 instrument clusters are different. i swaped my cluster for the fairmont one i have and simulated and high temp fault to try and get the trip computer to give a warning. but no luck. I starting to wonder that maybe this is only a feature for the Fairmont ghia's maybe???? they might have something different in the bcm or something like that.

I know this is a petty little thing to have but the way i look at it, is that i just done a full conversion and i want everything to work like the factory.

if aany one has any ideas of help on this it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tim
(wow this would have to be my longest post :s6: )

See less See more
#2 ·
The hi series cars have an extra sensor in the thermostat housing that replaces the bleed valve. If you that sensor fitted it might be faulty; ground it in the engine with the ignition on and you should get a warning buzz. It should also beep if you take off with the handbrake on.

#4 ·
Well i got the sensor today. cost $70 trade :dead: but that didnt matter to much. got home installed it, simulated a high temp fault. all i get is the gauge at full and the high temp light on. still no warning beep. no beep if i reverse and leave the hand break on aswell.
i changed the instrument clusters and tried it all again and still no luck.

any ideas?????

#5 ·
I have a 5Litre EB Fairmont, its a bit of a funny story, as it is fully optioned with all the gia stuff but has no elec windows, but has an elec sunroof.

If the trip computer is anything like mine, it will beep when you press the buttons, did you test the buzzer thingy that is meant to beep to see if it beeps ??? Give it a go.

Mine beeps at me for all weird reasons, at 80,60,40 and 20'k's left on the fuel meter, it beeps and it really shits you off cos you have to hit the reset button on the trip comp to shut it up,by the way if your like me and want everything to work I understand, but hey, if the rest works just leave it :eek:) its not as if your really missing out on much and its only a high temp fault, if you need the bloody thing to beep at you to tell you that your cars running hot.
Anyway, thats my 20c worth

#6 ·
yeah im not going to bother about it now. i did some more research and found out that only the fairlane and ea and eb I had the high temp faults.
i mean all the ghias with the digital dash. ie spedo have it. EBII and ED fairmont / ghia dont have it. cauz they only have the dash with the analogue gauges. all the other features work in the car so i will leave it at that.

#7 ·
yeah its a ghia thing

Hey EDXR6...
Like you I have done all that ghia conversion shit too... the warning thing for the trip computer as far as i know only came with the LCD dash in the ghia models. Its a black/white wire that runs from the dash to the trip computer. Whenever one of the warning lights were lit, this would send a +12V signal on this wire to the TC thus triggering the buzzer and WRN led.

Brent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.