Ford Forums banner

Sub, and Amp...

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Fludey 
#1 ·
Hey guys Me again!?

Sorry bout all the q's! :)

Ok, if I'm looking to get a single 10" or 12" subwoofer, what kind of amp would I be looking at buying.

Do i power the speakers with the amp also, or do I seperate the load between the headunit, and the amp.

So basically, if I've got 2x6" rear speakers, 2x4" front speakers, and a 10" Sub, what amp would I be looking at getting. Oh yeah, and I'm poor as all shit, so stay within say.. $150-300??

Just again, I'll ask this question too, incase you guys didn't see it in my other post, what kinda sub would be best to suit Alternative music like Incubus, Filter, Smashing Pumpkins...

Dave

#2 ·
I would go with a 4 channel amp. Run the 4 speakers of 2 bridged channels, and the sub off 2 bridged channels.

As far as subs go..... I reckon the bigger diameter, the deeper the bass. 10" subs have real punchy bass, 12" have deeper less punchy bass. It all depends on the type and size of enclosure you use as well.

#3 ·
I would just buy an amp to run the sub and get some heavy gauge cable to run to all the speakers from the head unit. If you do as what was said in the last post you will lose all fading and balancing of your speakers and when you listen to songs that have sounds that come from the back but not the front or from the left but not the right and vice versa you wont hear them cos when you bridge 2 channels it becomes monor

Is your budget that you mentioned there just for the amp or for both the sub and amp?

If it's just for the amp get the best 2 channel amp you can afford and also get some heavy gauge power cable to run to it

If it's for both your not gonna get major brand names unless there is a huge sale

#4 ·
Just installed 10" Kenwood Sub and Coustic 160watt RMS Amp in my ED with gas tank in the boot, I just use the amp to power the sub and the sub is in an enclosure in the boot, sounds bloody fantastic, heaps of bass even with the gas tank and seat in the way. I just use the 50watt x 4 HU to power the 4 6 inch speakers , its plenty loud enough..
Fludey

#6 ·
I got the Kenwood Sub and Coustic Amp from JB HiFi for $390 total and they are great , when the boots open all of the roller doors in my garage damn near shake from their hinges...
Loving it , finally took the plunge and got a sub and am very happy
Fludey

#7 ·
This is what i would do.
Go buy yourself a cheap 4 channel amp and something like a JBL 12 inch for about $220.
Build your own box its easy.
Bridge 2 channels into one and run the front speakers off the other 2.
I had one JBL with stock everything else running off a cheap sansui 4 channel amp and it sounded pretty good. It lack clarity cos of the stock speakers up front but this just meant fading towards the front more.
Sure it is better now with splits, and another sub but it was pretty good.

#8 ·
Fludey,

I don't want the kind of stereo that you can hear two kilometres away, so basically what your saying is a 10" sub with a 160 WRMS Amp, with the headunit powering the 6" speakers is plenty enough?

What kind of 6" speakers are you using? I've got 6" 180w 3way Pioneer speakers in the back shelf. Do you reckon these are ne good?

Would there be much of a difference between 4" speakers and 6" speakers? Because I own an EA, the front doors only fit 4" speakers.. nooo... :(

Dave

#9 ·
Yeah well in my opinion a good HU is ample enough to power your speakers apart from Sub , as far as the 4 inch speakers go , my old car was an EA and because of the holes for 4 inch speakers I researched a bit and found the best poss 4 inch speakers without paying out a fortune are the Jaycar Response 4 inch speakers , they have fantastic clarity with a really good super tweeter which can be rotated so it aims at your ears, they dont have much bass but you would be hard pressed to get them to distort. The sub would take care of the bass and I can highly recommend Pioneers new range of 6 inch 3 ways as I just put some in the ED and they are great , so your pioneers in the back should be ample with a sub and some Jaycars in the front.
Thats what I would do anyway , and it would work out quite cheap as you already have the back speakers , based on the same as my setup $170 for the Kenwood Sub, $280 for the Coustic amp ( which also looks great ) and $130 for the Jaycars.
I guarantee this setup would be great as I have had it nearly exactly myself
Well my fingers are sore so let me know how ya go...
Fludey

#10 ·
XplodEd EA said:
I would just buy an amp to run the sub and get some heavy gauge cable to run to all the speakers from the head unit. If you do as what was said in the last post you will lose all fading and balancing of your speakers and when you listen to songs that have sounds that come from the back but not the front or from the left but not the right and vice versa you wont hear them cos when you bridge 2 channels it becomes monor

Oops... i just re-read what i wrote. What I meant to suggest was to run 4 speakers off 2 channels and the sub off the bridged 2 channels. I realise you'll lose the fading but still have the balance. With it this way, if you want more bass from behind but not from the front speakers you only have to adjust the fader.
Rear speakers are only for fill anyway (when using a sub) so who really cares if the passengers are getting the full benefit.

#11 ·
Are 4" speakers good for the front?

I mean, what I'm wondering is whether there would be any difference between aftermarket 4" speakers, and the stock ones.

Do I need a sub to make the 4" sound any good? Or would the 4" speakers still sound good running of the HU without a sub?

I want to get a sub, but basically I was wondering whether I should buy the 4" speakers first, or the sub and amp, then the 4" speakers.

Dave

#12 ·
Aftermarket 4" speakers will sound heaps better than your stock ones. As for which to buy first... its up to you. I'd personally get the fronts first.

#13 ·
Yeah same here , buy the fronts first and get some clarity.. Like I said , on a budget the Jaycar Resonse 4inch speakers can't be beat , in my opinion anyway.
Your 6inch rear speakers will give you enough bass until you have the money for a sub.
For mine, if you got a sub first, with factory speakers all round, you would possibly have a little too much bass without any high end, which prob wouldnt sound too crash hot
Fludey

#14 ·
Thanks guys, you've been a real help.

I'll get a H/U this week. Next week, front speakers. The week after that, Sub and Amp..

Hopefully it'll sound cool.

Thanks again guys,
Dave

PS. Fludey, i'll keep those speakers in mind when I shop around. Where did you buy them from? Doesn't JayCar have their own retail outlets?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.