Ford Forums banner

XF Coil Query

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Futura97 
#1 ·
What function does the capacitor(?) have that grounds the 'oil' type coil on an XF?

I'm pretty sure I just killed it for the second time (already changed it after it died last time) whilst adjusting the timing and am wondering if I could just ground it directly.

Here's a pic of it:

See less See more
#3 ·
xf_xr6 said:
Thats a noise suppressor isn't it???

Do you have any engine noise coming thorugh your radio? If not then maybe you don't need to worry about it.

I could be wrong though....
It's a padock basher and if thats it I couldn't really give a crap about the radio receptoin...
Although it is fun doin donuts with music in the background. :s6:

#7 ·
You dont need a connection between the coil positive and earth at all. The Capacitor allows a path to earth for the AC generated by the coil but presents an open circuit to DC. Therefore if you take it off altogethr the noise supression doesnt work but everything else does.
Regds
Tote

#8 ·
Well just tried it again without it and still no spark. This capacitor was the only thing that ended up being different last time after trying several other coils, coil leads etc etc.

About the only other thing I can remember doing that might have effected it was unbolting, removing then re-installing the computer. Perhaps while adjusting the timing I have caused the ECU to stop working and taking it out has reset it???

Any and all ideas welcome here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.