Ford Forums banner

just a couple simple mods

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  SiX_iN_a_RoW 
#1 ·
ok... i am after any help/advice i can get...
i want to lower my EA...the suspension i have now is shot...
how much would i be looking at to get it lowered ..i am lookin at about 2 inch drop..

ok..secondly...i want to change the intake...i want as much air as possible getting into my engine...any ideas?...budget is a major factor...

i was thinking of heading down the wreckers and buying an air box...and chop the top of it....would that do anything...i am more after a sound then anything else...

i got a mpi engine...5 speed...

oh and i was also wondering if it's possible to increase fuel air mixture....and if so...how..?..

#3 ·
Regarding lowering, I have learned that you can do it one of a few ways, but you get what you pay for.

1: Lowered springs alone ($210 inc. postage, plus fitting in my case) will make the car handle well and look low, but ride will be crap
2: Lowered springs plus shocks will fix the above problem to some degree, but the shocks cost a fair bit more
3: Adding a camber kit will enable more accurate wheel alignment
4: replacing miscellaneous suspension components may be worthwhile also...

You get what you pay for, I have found. Anyway, that's all I can help with... :$

#4 ·
thanks...

i want mainly sound...but don't wanna lose performance...
i got an exhaust...and extractors are a little outta my price range atm....and as for my suspension...i gotta replace the front right ball joint...i got no idea what the ball joint does tho..and i doubt i would change only one...i would change atleast the front pair....

anyone else got info on air/fuel mixture...?

#6 ·
I used to own an EA Falcon 5 speed...before it met its untimely end, by thats another story involving girls walking down the sidewalk and a slow moving pulsar...

It only had a 2 1/2inch from the cat back, and gave it a real meaty sound... i also ditched the airbox and put on a pod style filter, the engine seemed a whole lot more lively, go talk to your local auto shop for details on those, i havent bought for a while so i am not sure how much they are anymore...

To change air fuel mixtures, you will need to play with the computer... performance places like UniChip do it, but at a big price...

My Falcon was also lowered 1 1/2 inches all round, but kept the standard shocks... only cost about 500 bucks at the time, looked good, wasnt too low... just insist that you dont want new shocks fitted too (unless your shocks are dodgy, old, and need replacing).

Pretty much, other than the exhaust from the cat back, you'll be up for several hundred bucks no matter which way you go, and a new computer will probably be your most expensive choice...

Without a new computer, we still managed to extract 384 kW at the flywheel out of the EA Ford 6, using a Garrett supercharger. But of course, the fuel economy was non existent and required huge mods to the engine bay layout...

See how you go...

#7 ·
As far as the intake goes, without TOO much effort you can do what I've done (and it does make a big difference!):

Go to ford and ask for an intake snorkel from an XG ute (about $30). They fit onto the EA airbox, but suck in a fair bit more air. To fit it, you'll need to cut off the scoop that is part of the radiator fan shroud, because the XG scoop attaches to the body of the car, not the shroud.

Whilst you've got the hacksaw out, cut the very top off of your airbox, this makes a slight improvement to the performance, but makes the exhaust sound unreal!!!

Next, get a thin piece of sheet metal and attach it from the bumper bar to the mouth of the scoop (so that directs some of the air from the grill into the scoop).

Lastly, go to your local Auto store and buy a K&N panel filter to put into the airbox. (About $140ish).

Each thing by itself only makes a small difference, but when you combine it all, it is quite a noticable improvement! And best of all, it only takes about 30 minutes to do....

Eventually, I'll replace the current setup with something a bit more radical, but this works really well in the meantime.

Cheers
Dave

#9 ·
Eu-GenixX said:
thanks...

..and as for my suspension...i gotta replace the front right ball joint...i got no idea what the ball joint does tho..and i doubt i would change only one...i would change atleast the front pair....

Which balljoint is stuffed... upper or lower? Each balljoint will cost you around $30 each. You cant do it yourself because they're pressed on (unless you have a hydraulic press at home)... a mechanic will take around 2 hours to do the whole front.
Also as previously mentioned, get yourself an adjustable camber kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.