Ford Forums banner

Blown head symptoms

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  svo347 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals.

I've been having real problems with my car lately where it wont start properly anymore (well sometimes it starts fine and sometimes it takes about 10-15 seconds to actually turn over when starting).

I really dont know what the problem is but i've heard that it could be a blown head.

I really want to make sure that it is or isnt before i actually take it in to get fixed and i dont know what to look for so can anyone tell me what the symptoms are of a blown head (or any other head troubles).

The coolant level has gone down about half a centimetre (on the overflow bottle) in the past month or so and the oil is good (not cloudy or gluggy).

I was told to keep an eye on the temp guage when i drive it and it seems normal. But how normal is "normal" on the guage, i mean where should the needle be as mine stays about the middle (between the r and the m on teh guage) but recently went close to mid of the 'o' when i drove around for about half an hour (start-stop not freeway).

Any help or ideas would be great peoples. Thanx.

Oh yeah, its a 94 EF, 6 cyclinder, 4.0l, auto. and i had it serviced about a month ago now.

See less See more
#2 ·
if its hard to get cranking i would suggest that, if you know what to do, first thing in the morning when its cold and has been sitting over night, remove the spark plugs and see if the tips are wet. if it is then thats where your water is going. needing a gasket change. check down the side of the engine block for signs under the exhaust manifold to see if there is evidence of any coolant leaking from the head gasket area as the head bolts break on the exhaust side as they get the hottest and cause the leak. use a mirror and a light to see that far up. you can get the coolant system checked for exhaust gasses at the local garage with a special chemical sniffer that is a blue liquid that changes to green or yellow when it finds exhaust gas which would mean the head gaskets blown. good luck. and if when your getting the headgasket replaced if they tell you the head doesn't need to be machined then walk away to the next mechanics.

#3 ·
Hard starting in itself is not a sign of head gasket failure. As harasn said, get it sniffed for exhaust gasses, get them to do a pressure test while they are at it. Most head gasket failures will cause the coolant to be pushed out of the radiator, but you don't seem to be using that much. The oil is not milky, do you get white sweet smelling smoke out of the exhaust, stuff that sort of hangs around? Do any of your plugs have a steam cleaned look?

These are a few things to try first before the panic sets in.

#4 ·
Top Ghia> noticed the new sig ... shouldn't it read every woman heheheh.

Entity> - the above is good advice. By the sound of things at the moment you really don't have too much to be worried about - just keep your eye on the coolant level daily for any sudden change.

The difficult starting when cold may be no more than a tired starter motor. Check for white smoke though on first start up.

#5 ·
thanx for all ya help guys.
i'll check the plugs now and i'll get the mechanic to test it soon as i get the chance.

The weird thing is, its not taking long to start when cold... or when really hot (after a drive), its start fine when it is.

It seems to start really badly when its warm, eg when i go for a drive and come home it'll start fine, however if i leave it for about 15 min sitting there (off), then try to start it again it has the trouble.

Also i noticed a slight oil leak under the car, a drop under the engine and a drop under the middle of the car... does that say anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.