Ford Forums banner

Fuel Smell in Cabin

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  robluvsxr8s 
#1 ·
I've been getting this really really strong fuel smell in my car (XF).
Normally after the car has been running for a few minutes. It's just been getting stronger and stronger over the last month, to the point where it's making me a little dizzy sometimes. :bwhoa1:

Anyone got any idea what it could be?

I've changed the stock air filter cover that runs over the head cover and behind the battery an stuff, and replaced it with a chrome one. Would that make a difference as there is now no cover, just the air filter?

I'll post a picture later today.

#2 ·
You really shouldn't have petrol fumes in the cabin from that, though it wouldn't hurt to stick the ond air cleaner back on & see what happens. My brother had a ZJ fairlane, & we converted the carby six to XF EFI. We did it at a mechanics' workshop, we mainly did most of the work, but our mate ( the mechanic ) did some of the work, anyway the point is we had a similar problem after the conversion. What had had happened was that our mate had accidently got a vacum hose for the heater, which was meant to plug into the inlet manifold, & plugged it into the charcoal canister instead. You haven't touched any vacum hoses have you?

#3 ·
No no, I haven't touched anything else.
The smell has been around for ages actually, just used to come and go every now and then so I never paid much attention to it, but resently it's been really bad.

Here's the new setup....

Attachments

#4 ·
well is there any visible fuel leaks from hoses, connections, manifold fittings while your engine is running? - Is the top of your carby clean or is it damp and dirty? - could be fuel leak around top cover or even carby base - basically if you can smell fuel in the cabin you have a leak and shouldn't be driving it for months before seriously looking for the problem - if you can't find it take it to a workshop before something more serious happens.

#6 ·
Is that a carby one with the Twin throat webers? I had a set up that was like that in my XD, i changed it all to two throat webers instead of the single throat stock carby, put on an airfilter like that and I got petrol fuels inside the car, I just assumed it was the airfilter being open, but who knows..

#7 ·
When i put an electric fuel pump in my xd i opened up the cover of the vent tube in the boot to get the other 2 fuel lines to the tank. Anyway i started getting fuel smell in the car and subsequently i couldn't work out why i got the nods after about 30 mins driving. So i sealed it back up and put the lines through some grommets i put in the floor. Problem solved. Just a thought. Hope it helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.