Ford Forums banner

Heads for the sprint

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  xr8_sprint 
#1 ·
Quick question...

I have a ED XR8 sprint (funnily enough) which has things like bigger throttle body, MAF, 24lb injectors etc...

The engine has done approx 120,000 light kms (well the first 110,000 of them were) haha.

I was thinking of spending the 3k on a pair of trickflow heads and bolting them straight on along with a nice phat cam.

Is there any suggestions people may have (upgrading the throttle body, injectors etc, or even what camshaft you would reccommend). I believe i'll have to ditch the cobra manifold to start with as they get restrictive at high RPM i hear.

Before suggestions about a rebuild on the bottom end, that will come in the form of a 347 bottm end with KB pistons, moly rings etc. in a while.

Im aiming for a stroked windsor with a V1 kit - and have the stock sprint motor put away for when it's time to make the car original again. (long term project).

Just if i had the heads, might as well get some bolt on horsepower happening.

feedback very much appreciated.

shane

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll be unpopular here and say not to bother with the Trickflow heads. With their non standard valve angles, they can be a problem if not set up correctly. Go for a nice set of AFR 165's which easily outflow Trickflows. As I said on your other post, the cobra intake will flow enough but would benefit by porting of the lower. If you want an aftermarket intake, go for the Edelbrock Performer or RPM.

#4 ·
Trickflows require guide plates and roller rockers and hardn'd pushrods.Like any mod in the valve gear they ALL have to be set up correctly.Though the set up on the Trickfows [track heat] are more complicated they are also more higher spec or severe duty compared to pedestal mount esp.The AFR's are more expensive due to cnc porting std. A ported [cnc] T/W will flow similar or better resalts.Nothing wrong with both heads.There is no real direct comparo.Hell with 230 duration 550 lift cam 11:1 compression Victor or T/W inlet they made 400+ H.P in MM & FF...

If it was my motor I'd put Crane 2021 or B303[ fairly wild ] with 1.7 roller rockers which it already has.. Remember the cam on a Sprint has less duration on exhaust than a std 5 Ltr, made up with the 1.7 rockers..Port the GT40 heads with good springs.As EDXR8 said port the bottom inlet and you have 220+ easy. More with a 76mm maf and bigger 70mm throttle body..You have most the GOOD stuff allready on you'r car!!! Just enhance it more... Open to debate ??

#5 ·
hey, im open for all angles of suggestion - thanks :)

My old lady has a E303 cam from SVO in her EL GT - it is rather wild - but it seems to go quite well.

If i retain the stock sprint motor, but put in this B303 with the 1.7 rockers... what kind of flywheel HP would i be looking at approx?

Would there be substantial changes? - what prices am i looking at

thanks for the info guys - i learn more on here than farting through websites and asking retailers (that tend to blow the horn of the product they're selling and that's about it).

keep it all coming ppl :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.