Ford Forums banner

What wheels to get on my EF XR6?

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  EFXR62 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on wheels for the EF. My 15" wheels just aren't funky enough. I was thinking something like this?

http://www.donnellans.com.au/images/cars/ford/xr6ute.jpg

what do you guys think? what have you seen that looks good?

Thanks,

Yagz

#3 ·
G
#6 ·
hey chubbz, so, the bodykit is a proper tickford kit? I know people who can do the painting for it, so that's not a drama.

The wheels all up will cost me $2500 with the springs? is that including rubber? Are they genuine ford rims?

So, my budget;
Wheels and Springs (XLR) = $2500 + $250 polished = $2750
Bodykit = $1000 + $300 = $1300

grand total = $4050 !

Hmm, i think i'm going to have to do with wheels and springs first :\ , then if i get more money, i can do the kit.

#8 ·
Hey yagz...

My bodykit is aftermarket (EL XR8 kit). Got it from Alkon Vehicle Enhancement. I heard you could get the genuine kit for even less than what i paid these days. Dunno though...

Those rims are heaps cheaper now.. when i bought them they were $1900 without polish. But i've seen them on cars and they look terrible. Either Chrome em or polish em =) they look like a different rim! (That was including rubber, Falkon - 245/40R17, but i had a harder compound tyre put on which was the same price)
When i said it cost me $2500, i meant wheels tyres springs and polish included lol

Don't forget Factory Direct have 12months interest free. Take advantage of that. They were the only company that supplied those rims (not sure now though) - they are not ford rims. If you get them ask for the FORD centers.. and dont forget lock nuts.
Springs - superlow stage 2 (like mine ride height) 11cms off the ground. BUT.. DO NOT go this far down without SHOCKS.. trust me.. i was without shocks for 8months... TERRIBLE ride!

All the best... let me know what happens eh?
ChuBBz

G
#9 ·
ChuBBz said:
Hey yagz...

My bodykit is aftermarket (EL XR8 kit). Got it from Alkon Vehicle Enhancement. I heard you could get the genuine kit for even less than what i paid these days. Dunno though...

Those rims are heaps cheaper now.. when i bought them they were $1900 without polish. But i've seen them on cars and they look terrible. Either Chrome em or polish em =) they look like a different rim! (That was including rubber, Falkon - 245/40R17, but i had a harder compound tyre put on which was the same price)
When i said it cost me $2500, i meant wheels tyres springs and polish included lol

Don't forget Factory Direct have 12months interest free. Take advantage of that. They were the only company that supplied those rims (not sure now though) - they are not ford rims. If you get them ask for the FORD centers.. and dont forget lock nuts.
Springs - superlow stage 2 (like mine ride height) 11cms off the ground. BUT.. DO NOT go this far down without SHOCKS.. trust me.. i was without shocks for 8months... TERRIBLE ride!

All the best... let me know what happens eh?
ChuBBz
Hmm, you said that i needed shocks to go that low? Doesn't my XR6 have shocks already? I'm not very car friendly when it comes to wheels/brakes/suspension... All i know is that my shocks are yellow at the rear after i checked my rotor for hot spots yesterday..

I think i'll have to hold off with the body kit for now, as that is just purely an visual thing that can be done later. The wheels are visual also, but i really need new wheels, as the ef xr6 wheels are the biggest pieces of crap i've ever seen :p

When you said 12 months interest free, i might put a $1000 desposit down, and pay the rest off as i go.. do the rims need re-polishing after a certain amount of time? are they easy to clean? does cleaning them un-polish them?

Oh, and i must say that i LOVE your car setup :) Very nicely done dude :) I can't wait until i get my p's, and i'll be coming to all the cruises!!

Thanks,

Yagz

#11 ·
Hmm, you said that i needed shocks to go that low? Doesn't my XR6 have shocks already?

Of course they have shocks, but i meant shocks that don't let the car bounce around alot. You could do without them for a while i guess.. but eventually i recommend you get yourself some gas shocks modifed for your ride height.

do the rims need re-polishing after a certain amount of time? are they easy to clean? does cleaning them un-polish them?

I've had my rims for bout a year now and they pretty much still look brand new... You buy a metal polisher called "Autosol" and you just hand polish the polish layer up a bit... say every 3-4months to get stains off (nothing major).
DO NOT buy those shit-house sprays you see on the market.. Anything acid-base will eat up the polish. Warm water and soap does the trick nicely. Alternatively, Chrome is the safer surface finish. Though i love the look of polished rims, myself, and thats why i opted for that finish.

Oh, and i must say that i LOVE your car setup :) Very nicely done dude :) I can't wait until i get my p's, and i'll be coming to all the cruises!!

Thanks champ.. You'll see me at the cruises then. =)

also, what brand are the rims?

Do you believe.. i don't even know. I just know 'em as XLR's or "Accellerators".

Take care champ.

G
#13 ·
thanks for that chubbz :)

they look nice on a fairmont, but would they look any good on my xr6? I'm trying to picture those wheels on <a href="http://www.yagz.com/images/xr6.gif">this</a>
What do ya reckon?

There's more <a href="http://www.yagz.com/xr6.html">here</a>

I dunno if they'll look as good .. any opinions welcome :)

#14 ·
Too be perfectly frank with you yagz, if you have heaps of money to spend on wheels alone, then i suggest you go for 18's...

17's are becoming standard on cars these days (i.e fairmont ghia).. they begin looking too small after awhile (for me anyway). Sometimes i wish i had gotten 18's or even 19's for that matter.. But thats just how i am i guess LOL.

I'm surprised you picked my rims just my seeing photos - they dont look as good as they do in real life (while in motion, too)

If you have alot to spend, get a set of rare 18's =)
Sorry for making your decision EVEN HARDER now lol

If you do eventually choose my rims.... You'll be loving the looks you get =) With a coat of polish on em - they look a million bucks. Of course it will suit your car - It suits mine doesnt it? Its the same shape pretty much lol.

later
ChuBBz

p.s Awesome car, yagz.. hope it brings you many years of SAFE driving =)

#16 ·
Well my car is under my father's name at the moment for $480ish..
but if i ride it off its a $1600 excess. Although i am not listed as a driver.
They usually don't have a problem with 17s .. Its the lowering that troubles them.

Just ring up and say "i'm just curious.....how much would it be to insure 17by8's with my xr"
See what they say :p

Let me know, eh?

#18 ·
Nar.. the car is insured for anyone in the family.
They know of the major mods ..Yes...
But things like the camshaft, etc.. I've decided not to tell them about. I've taken a few risks, and i strongly suggest you do not do that!
But i plan to change insurance companies when i'm off my P's in 1 year and a half, so i can actually build up a rating. (and actually be honest with them for a change)

=)
ChuBBz

G
#19 ·
hehe, ok thanks. I've decided to pay the bloody thing off first before i go doing anything drastic, so maybe after this summer, i'll do something like lower it or something..

Thanks for all the info guys, specially chubbz.. i can't wait to come to a meet with my wheels!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.