Ford Forums banner

351 Windsor in a ED

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  GTHO4 
G
#1 ·
G'day peoples, new here so be gentle :s5
anyway was wondering if anyone has or knows someone who's fitted a 351 Windsor to an ED, just wanted some details on how it's done.

Cheers

G
#3 ·
Haha! I was expecting someone would say that.
That was the alternative if fitting a 351 was too hard but i'm not sure what to stroke it to.
There's been so many conflicting reports that wether or not stroking to 347ci is a good thing and to 331ci is safer option.
Still if fitting a 351 is not difficult one could stroke it to 454ci!!!
not that I have the money for that, though no harm in dreaming. :s6:

#4 ·
You MAY have to run a moulding on the bonnet much like a VN Commodore for the extra height..

G
#6 ·
Yep Ive seen an EA with a 351w it and also know of a 351c in an EB. It(the EA) was on gas only so it didn't go very well. Headers were(amazingly) off the shelf XW-Y 1 5/8" Try-Y's(probably another reason why it didn't go well) but is a good example of what you can use at short notice.
Height is your biggest hurdle of course. Mainly because if you're building a reasonably tough engine the intakes begin to get very high.
I'm building a 391w for my XE ute and it won't fit under the XF bonnet I have....Edelbrock Victor 5.8 EFI intake is 12" high.
Luckily the upper plenum is narrow enough that I can just fit a shaker on it with just a smidge sliced out of the bottom right hand side and it still sits central to the bonnet. Headers will be easier to fabricate on EA up Falcons than my XE. I'll be using 1 3/4" primaries in a 4 into 1 configuration in my ute. Obviously 1 3/4" is the minimum for a stroker 351w.
BTW you realise the only way to get over 435ci is with a Ford racing or World Products siamese bore block?....lotsa $$$$$.

The way I see it; if bonnet clearance is the only real concern.....Do it!

Pete.

G
#10 ·
XR9UTE said:
Yep Ive seen an EA with a 351w it and also know of a 351c in an EB. It(the EA) was on gas only so it didn't go very well. Headers were(amazingly) off the shelf XW-Y 1 5/8" Try-Y's(probably another reason why it didn't go well) but is a good example of what you can use at short notice.
Height is your biggest hurdle of course. Mainly because if you're building a reasonably tough engine the intakes begin to get very high.
I'm building a 391w for my XE ute and it won't fit under the XF bonnet I have....Edelbrock Victor 5.8 EFI intake is 12" high.
Luckily the upper plenum is narrow enough that I can just fit a shaker on it with just a smidge sliced out of the bottom right hand side and it still sits central to the bonnet. Headers will be easier to fabricate on EA up Falcons than my XE. I'll be using 1 3/4" primaries in a 4 into 1 configuration in my ute. Obviously 1 3/4" is the minimum for a stroker 351w.

The way I see it; if bonnet clearance is the only real concern.....Do it!

Pete.
I'm one not for scoops except for the shaker.
Surely there must be some intakes that might be shorter..what about the Cobra intake from the '93 Mustangs?

#11 ·
use 302 windsoe heads and upper intake manifold and buy the lower half of the manifold from ford motor sports (go to you local ford dealer get the ford motorsports cataloge). they make a lower part thats bolts to a 351w bottem end and also will bolt up to your stock 302 windsor upper intake manifold

#12 ·
The Cobra inlet just touches the insulation on a 302.. 5Ltr heads and 302 are almost the same except thicker head bolts, 5 ltr need to be drilled to fit ..Another the inlet still has to clear your rocker covers.It's a nightmare good luck persistance is the thing here!!Then there's your accessaries on the front??

G
#14 ·
The '94-'95 Cobra upper with the curved forward throttle body neck is the lowest available. Trouble is it won't flow nearly enough air for a hot 351 and certainly not for a stroker version.
You could extrude hone it but it would still be marginal on a stroker. With the BXR out of production the TFS-351 and Edelbrock Victor 5.8 are really the only choices for enough flow. I went with the Victor over the TFS mainly because of quality concerns. Plus I could afford a slightly shorter runner length due to the extra stroke of the engine. You can get box type uppers also but these will put you too much in the hole as far as torque goes, None appear to be made for the big flowing lowers like the TFS or Victor though. A custom made upper is not out of the question though.

The '94-'95 Cobra upper/351GT-40 lower combo would be fine for a mild street engine with out of the box aftermarket heads and a small hyd roller with up to 224deg @ .050". You still be into the 12's with this.

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.