Ford Forums banner

'X' pipe question

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Aussie Pete 
#1 ·
Hey guys
iknow this question has been asked time and time again.
My oldman has a El xr8 and wants to put a exhaust on it since the old rear muffler ****ed up on it.
we have bought a set o pacemakers for it.
the guy he wants to use is ace mufflers in chadstone he recommended to us that we put a 2.5 into 3 inch 'x' (not sure oldman talked to him something like that) pipe on it and the twin cats twin mufflers and into a single resonator but we have no idea of how the car will go or sound.
thanks for ur help i know its a pain in the arse question which has been asked time and time again anywayz any help appreciated.

#2 ·
I have one on the LTD.

I was told you get the benefit of both single and duel exhaust. I Chose to go duel the whole way, I prefer the 'old school' sound. My exhaust was fitted by 'Barney Exhausts' who I think is the best place. Especially if you want a custom job.

Mine wasn't a converter, like 2.5 to 3.

#3 ·
When you say X pipe then 3" are you sure he doesn't mean Y into 3" single ?? Thats o/k but make sure the muffler IS good "quality" .. Genuine 3"..
X pipe is similar to the old ballance pipe only better flowed.Gives the sound of a multi cam engine [4 v per cyl].. imo..Makes it slightly quieter ??too as all eight pulses are coming out BOTH pipes...

#4 ·
So what bot of u are saying is that ballance pipe and 'x'pie is the same thing and will not affect performance and i meant 2.5 x pipe then 3 inch afterwards.

#5 ·
TUFESP said:
So what bot of u are saying is that ballance pipe and 'x'pie is the same thing and will not affect performance and i meant 2.5 x pipe then 3 inch afterwards.
Yes thats a typical 3" system.There would be no X pipe there.

The X is used on V8s with twin exhausts. Where the ballance pipe used to be[as in the Clevo G.Ts] they put an X pipe there so the pulses can cross over to the least resistance..I don't think its original equip,yet... But more an aftermarket improvement.First done in N.A.S.C.A to keep high flow and slightly sound deadening..Yes I would say there would be an improvement with X pipe esp in torque...

If you see the undercarage of Lownds's Commodore when he rolled it you can see the X pipe type system...

#7 ·
X-Pipes are meant for twin systems. Otherwise there is little point.

#8 ·
there is a science as to where to place the x pipe. first draw a line of chalk down the two pipes, then start the car and hold the revs for a minute of so. where the chalk burn off on the pipe is where the x pipe goes...
betchyadidntknowdat...

#9 ·
Aussie Pete said:
X-Pipes are meant for twin systems. Otherwise there is little point.
But all V8's start as a twin system.

Get the X-pipe with hi flow cats. If there is some restriction with your stock exhaust, the x-pipe will free up some hp for you. X-pipe benefits are greater at high RPM though, so you may not feel much more low end torque.

#10 ·
gravelrash said:
there is a science as to where to place the x pipe. first draw a line of chalk down the two pipes, then start the car and hold the revs for a minute of so. where the chalk burn off on the pipe is where the x pipe goes...
betchyadidntknowdat...
old wives tale........ :wtf: :bp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.