Ford Forums banner

Falcon TE50 Tremec Gearbox Issue

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WBT56 
#1 ·
About 3 months ago I purchased a Falcon TE50 with the 5 speed manual tremec transmission. In quick time it has developed a terrible knock at idle through the gearbox. Ford keep telling me it is a characteristic of the Tremec box. It spoils a brilliant car

#4 ·
Is it exactly gearbox or something like pilot bearing misalignment or incorrect tolarance, clutch fork loose and rattling ??? Sometimes the fix is so simple...

#5 ·
thanks ebxr8240 for your info. I am taking it back to the Ford Dealer this week. I hope they will explore the suggestions you have given me. I truly can not put up with it as it is. I have owned a number of warm xr8's and all experiences have been very pleasurable. I thought the TE50 was going to raise me to a new dimension. So disappointing thus far.

#7 ·
In AU models these boxes were not assembled by Tremec. They are pulled down, have a longer input shaft fitted, the bellhousing is modified and a 4" spacer fitted. Incorrect tolerancing during re-assembly causes some to rattle at idle. Ford also recommend the incorrect oil type be used. BA spec boxes are assembled by tremec to Ford's design, and the oil spec has apparently been upgraded to something more suitable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.