Ford Forums banner

T5 alternatives

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  old_mate 
#1 ·
hey guys,

i am about to buy an EA and in the not to distant future rebuild an engine and turbo it. obviously if i do this the T5 box will more than likely shit itself eventually, so i was wonderin what are some good alternative gearboxes that i could use?

also what is a good strong lsd to use?

thanks

#2 ·
EA will be 25spline Borg Warner. 28spline 4pin LSD BW will hold 300+ FWKW. Burnouts or serious circuit race will kill the LSD though.
You could get a EA-EL series I6 box built with V8 internals that should hold 220FWKW.(I know AP and G have run much more through a T5, but I also know MANY others who have killed them with much less.)Beyond that you are out into TR3550 territory.

#3 ·
well im going turbo in my EA, and apart from going tremec you do still have some options.....

Top Loader 4 speed
C4 Three speed auto

both are strong, reasonably cheap and easy to find. The C4 can also be built with any kind of stall converter u wish, depending on what turbo you run and what rpm you want boost to come on at.

#4 ·
WBT56 said:
EA will be 25spline Borg Warner. 28spline 4pin LSD BW will hold 300+ FWKW. Burnouts or serious circuit race will kill the LSD though.
You could get a EA-EL series I6 box built with V8 internals that should hold 220FWKW.(I know AP and G have run much more through a T5, but I also know MANY others who have killed them with much less.)Beyond that you are out into TR3550 territory.
The V8 T5 is not really any stronger than the I6. It is rated slightly higher through having a slightly taller first gear (2.95 vs 3.25 or 3.5), bu the rest of the 'box is basically the same. Third gear is the one that breaks most often in both boxes. I have a collection of stripped third gears, and so will any gearbox workshop. Go the Tremec. I run a heavily modified T5 in my rally car, but it is not suitable for a road application (straight cut gears), and for the expense, a tremec would be much better suited to your need, and stronger.

#7 ·
chubbz,

how much would a reco supra box be worth? what sort of power can they handle?

#9 ·
A good Supra box won't need overhauling !!

How much power you ask ? Shouldn't you be asking, how much abuse???
T5's are not that bad either. Just no power shifting or dumpng clutch, shock loading everything..If you have enough power, there's no need for it...imo..

#10 ·
what about a T56... they can handle more than a T5...

#11 ·
sikEA said:
well im going turbo in my EA, and apart from going tremec you do still have some options.....
have u started on your car yet bro?

#12 ·
T5/6 Yes strong as a toploader & is about $8k.. O/K ???? Then fitting...

#13 ·
WBT56 said:
What cars had the 28 spline 4pinion BW?? I have a diff from an XE year (ZK or ZJ) Fairlane 351, it has 4 pin, but I didn't count the splines

#15 ·
Aaron_M said:
What cars had the 28 spline 4pinion BW?? I have a diff from an XE year (ZK or ZJ) Fairlane 351, it has 4 pin, but I didn't count the splines
If car has 4 pin, it should have 28 spline. They go hand in hand. EB onwards have 28spline 4 pin std, in earlier models only 351 equipped cars had it. Even 302 were 25 spline.

#16 ·
ChuBBz said:
go the SUPRA turbo box.

not much better than that (for price)....
agreed! the supra box are top boxs, ive fitted one to my XE v8 and you couldnt get a sweeter box, mine was specially built to handle a v8 and came with a kit to fit it up, all from Dellow Automotive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.