Ford Forums banner

Dodgy Steering.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  swoopa 
#1 ·
Hey all my EL falcon has developed a problem. The steering seems to be making weird noises. When turning the steering wheel it sometimes makes a metalic thumping sound? Also it happens sometimes when going around corners. Its not loud, but its noticable.

When going over bumps on the road, sometimes it knocks as well.

the situation is really hard to explain, but do any of yous know what the problem can be?

thanks

#4 ·
I have this problem too. I have noticed it for some time now, but just haven't bothered doing anything to fix it! I have decided that I wil actually look at it soonish!

#5 ·
snavy - I have this problem as well, it almost feels like something is knocking on the steering shaft? happens only when the car is warm (ie after driving for around 20 mins or more and hot days)?? You feel it in the steering wheel and also on the floor near your left foot? I hae spent almost $1000 trying to get it fixed (New Shockers, new rubbers etc) but still no luck, I have it booked in at the mechanics yet again and he si going to pull the whole lot apart to try and find the problem (eg ball joints rack etc).

I have had it suggested that it is the shaft from the Steering wheel to the Rack but I checked this with the Mechanic and he ruled it out as the cause.

If I find a solution (mind you this has been going for 6 months now)I will let you know.

#6 ·
ELF98 said:
You feel it in the steering wheel and also on the floor near your left foot?

If I find a solution (mind you this has been going for 6 months now)I will let you know.
This is exactly what I felt. The K-member is the big black, sort of do-nut shaped crossmember that the engine and suspension all munt up to. It bolts onto the bottom of the front chassis rails. The rack is the steering rack. It is a cast aluminium housing with rods poking out each end toward the wheels. It is attched to the k-member at the rear via two bolts. You will need a 14mm spanner, or better still a socket and a long series of extensions for access from above.

I have found that we need to check and tighten these bolts about every 100km competitive (which is like about 10,000km of normal driving in terms of the strain on the car). We do this to all the important bolts in the car about every 100km, or roughly a day's competition.

#7 ·
rally said:
This is exactly what I felt. The K-member is the big black, sort of do-nut shaped crossmember that the engine and suspension all munt up to. It bolts onto the bottom of the front chassis rails. The rack is the steering rack. It is a cast aluminium housing with rods poking out each end toward the wheels. It is attched to the k-member at the rear via two bolts. You will need a 14mm spanner, or better still a socket and a long series of extensions for access from above.

I have found that we need to check and tighten these bolts about every 100km competitive (which is like about 10,000km of normal driving in terms of the strain on the car). We do this to all the important bolts in the car about every 100km, or roughly a day's competition.
ok ill check it out. checking out all options at the moment. Funny this is, the noise was really loud two months ago, then disappeared, now its reappeared again, but just noticable.

so what general turning of steering wheel knock and while going around corners it knocks sometimes? Bushes?

#9 ·
not long ago the power steering in my ea wandering/knocking/ turning wierd
anyway
shite itself on left side rubber boot(near ldler arm) when changing it I found that theres a nut that fits in the sleeve of the rack body and it must centre the steering shaft this was undone letting shaft flex when I rectified this problem it was heaps better just check by sqeezing rubber boots (its a big round nut)should be able to slide it , it is also hard to do up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.