Ford Forums banner

XD/XE factory setup to allow hydraulic clutch

17K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Andysandy 
#1 ·
Here's a questions for you XD/XE/XF guys and gals.

I recently discovered in fitting my XE up with a hydraulic clutch that the XD/XE models have a factory setup being a hole in the firewall covered by a plate with two bolts to allow a hydraulic cylinder to be bolted up, it being located beside the brake booster.

Also my understanding is that ALL manuals left the factory with a cable clutch, and thus there would seem to be no need for the this factory setup.

Also the XF firewall does not have this factory setup, you need to make a hole and drill bolt holes yourself!

I have a theory that (holding true that all manuals had cable clutches) this factory setup was to allow the touring cars to have a hydraulic setup with no firewall mods and because the XF was not raced due to the absence of a v8 this factory setup was therefore not needed and discontinued.

Give us your thoughts.
Cheers.

#5 ·
well if thats the case, there goes my theory (as nice as it sounded).

your responses sounds logical, as a v8 clutch is considerably heavier than the six, a cable probably wouldnt last the distance, and the absense of the v8 in the XF would thus explain its absense.

I didnt really go the hydraulic clutch due to the heavier clutch, more so because it was included in the conversion kit for the Supra 5 speed box i bought.

Good thing the kit came with a hydraulic clutch, because i bought a F100 clutch to go in the box, and with a cable my leg would definitely be paining.

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers

#6 ·
It is near impossible to fit cable clutch to an XD/E V8 as the extractors leave no room. On XFs the clutch fork operates from the passenger side away from exhaust heat,unlike earlier 6 cyl falcons and cortinas which were on the drivers side.

#7 ·
Ford Grunt said:
I have a theory that (holding true that all manuals had cable clutches) this factory setup was to allow the touring cars to have a hydraulic setup with no firewall mods and because the XF was not raced due to the absence of a v8 this factory setup was therefore not needed and discontinued.

Your question has alread been answered, but bear i nmind, Ford had nothing al all to do with any sort of motore racing with the XD-XF, they didn't even holmolgate the body kits for racing, it was done by Murray Carter!!

Kieron

#8 ·
Re: Re: XD/XE factory setup to allow hydraulic clutch

Kieron said:
Your question has alread been answered, but bear i nmind, Ford had nothing al all to do with any sort of motore racing with the XD-XF, they didn't even holmolgate the body kits for racing, it was done by Murray Carter!!

Kieron
Well almost correct, Murray Carter shared his workshop with a guy by the name of Bob McWilliam, he had a company called Phase Autos and he built the Phase 5 XD Falcon. The phase 5 was to be the basis for the XD racing car with the front spoiler and flares but the rear spoiler (and BMW style) roof spoiler was not allowed so they had to run the "blade" motorcraft one.

But yes it was Murray who was one of the first to run the kit.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN

#9 ·
A guy called Wayne Simon actually penned the Group C kit, I think he made a small wind tunnel model of it too back in 78.

Gary Willmington was the first to race an XD - silver sponsorless car, followed closely by Carter, but it was Carter (actually with Wayne Simon) who presented the car to Cams for homolgation.
Carter in fact homolgated the car using the weight of a 6 pot XD too!

I suspect Phase autos used the original Simon design with the Phase IV, which from a vauge memory had something to do with Bob Morris?

Kieron

#10 ·
On the XF's you have to drill out the firewall to put the hydraulic clutch in (cutout is marked on the cab side of the firewall (have done it before, when going from auto to manual in a V8 XF). However the firewall needs to be strengthed, bends like a bitch otherwise :(

#12 ·
Hey man,hopefully you get this reply, I'm looking at Manual conversion on my Xf ute but thought about cable set up.Would you prefer this over hydraulic, my main reason is costings but reading alot folks prefer hydraulic due to easier maintenance etc & cable was only really suitable for 6 cylinders

#11 ·
Great White said:
It is near impossible to fit cable clutch to an XD/E V8 as the extractors leave no room.
Arrr this far sounds familar. im running extractors and with extractors there's barely room for anything, even the starter motor can only be put on by removing the the drivers side extractor.

Also the clutch fork is definetely located on the passenger side of the car.

Cheers.

#17 ·
Well, there's a few things to consider. First, can you budget another transmission? Given the old was sold under false pretenses, you may have a lawsuit. I don't know NZ's. If you are handy, and can open it up (assuming you are from your posts), it may be cheaper in the log run to keep it and rebuild it if necessary, IF it is truly what you are looking for. If you are pushing torque/horsepower beyond the transmission's capacity and you are as as foolish as I, you will end up eating it. So it boild down to this: is the transmission bragging rights or needed, and are you willing to trust it?

#18 ·
Research I done on tag was really happy with it & was willing to take the gamble my torque wasn't going to eat it up..
Getting the bloke to do abit more homework on it but is looking a tad pair shaped.
Just heard from him now turns was a 3.8L box, so now going with T5-Z, maybe they still make those one's as promoted as brand new.
This is really me also, Sandy my wife from Taiwan, so maybe you can see her email address 👍😁😎

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.