Ford Forums banner

EBII or ED?

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  THELTD 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am considering trading up to an EBII Fairmont '93 flavour, 113000 km's, red with chrome mags, 4.0 litre MPFI and the usual Fairmont extra's (Auto) $11000 or a '93 ED Fairmont, standard @143000km's $14000

I am parting with my trusty EA I GL wagon, and would appreciate any advice on which would be the best buy. Iam leaning toward the EBII.

Fairmontcrazy

#2 ·
Far as I know there wasn't much difference, well not $3000's worth, bit of chrome. You could do a few things to your car for $3k
Comes down to personal choice but, if they both drive nice, are tidy and comparable, go the EBII. Check out ABS, i think its worth while.

Although obvios check out the gaskets/Rad/water pump (any thing that could help kill the head) cond &history first, if you can.

Good luck

Also check out
http://www.redbook.com.au/vehiclesearch/default.asp

Its known to be pesimistic, and have obmissions, or wronge items, in "standard equipment" section when you click 'specifications' (on left toolbar). Good for a read but

#4 ·
No worries,

Jase

#5 ·
The single reason I prefer the ED is its inclusion of ABS as standard. However, a price difference that great is hard to ignore. If you need to buy soon, then the EB makes a good case for itself.

#7 ·
I'd go the EB, but with that sorta money you could prolly get a EF fairmont.

#13 ·
Hi All,
Thanks everybody for the advice, I have purchased the EB, it has ABS braking, extremely tidy (seems well maintained ) and drives like a dream. No rattles ( like my EA wagon).

For those interested, an EF sells in NZ for about 16K.

Cheers
Mick

#15 ·
I beg to differ with you Jack that ED's came out standard with ABS. Cos i have an ED and it definitely doesn't have ABS.

#16 ·
Wow...I got a shock with the prices too at first. Didn't realise it was in NZ though.

Anyway, just to assist in trans-tasman comparisons. I bought an EBII (10/92 w/smartlock) Fairmont some weeks ago. 104,000km on the clock, lovely condition, have found no major faults - $5,500

Cheers!
Damien

#17 ·
crodarian said:
I beg to differ with you Jack that ED's came out standard with ABS. Cos i have an ED and it definitely doesn't have ABS.
The original post was comparing EB II and ED Fairmonts. ABS was optional on the EB II Fairmont, and standard on the ED Fairmont. It took Ford until the AU series III to make ABS standard on the base sedans/wagons.:badass:

#19 ·
Damien, that is a fantastic price, I have paid nearly double the price (even with the current exchange rate..$1.10NZD buys $1.00 OZ) I could have flown over to Brizzy, purchase an EB2, visit family, have a few tinnies, shipped the car back, flown home and still have change in my pocket.

Fords and Commies are very expensive in NZ ( see comment by NZinAUS), seems to be about $4-5K dearer on some models.
Some good example EA's are still selling for around $5K, but there is not many good ones left on the road now.

We are being ripped off with the cost of petrol here $1.15 litre, so it is surprising the demand for the big Fords remains high, when you can buy a near new Jap car with 20K on the clock for 10 grand. On a brighter note, our car registration is cheaper.

Cheers

Mick ( ex Browns Plains QLD)

#20 ·
Yes, it was a bargain, and I absolutely love driving it. Was originally $6200, and the owner said 'I'll take $5,500 if you offer'. At that price, I figured that even if the head needs work, or the transmission, I'm still likely to be out ahead.

Took me about 4 months to find it, but by the time we saw it, I had enough experience to spot the bargain. Luckily we're a two car family too! Many people can't afford wait that long for the right car. I was very close to giving up and buying something from a dealer myself.

Smaller market where you are, so not quite so competitive I would think.

Damien

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.