Ford Forums banner

turboing ef falcon

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  xr8_sprint 
#1 ·
hi,

I have recently got a baby CT20 turbo, how would I go about putting this on my car? I was thinking about maybe using an rx7 intercooler. I am going to decompress my motor my using a copper head gasket, and also want to know wheter i will need to change my fuel map??

#2 ·
Whats the ct20 off ?? How big is it ?? after market I/C are around $900.00 10 times better than anything stock...

#3 ·
Well you will need to make up an exhaust manifold, to fit the turbo, sounds like your exhust might be ok, intercooler + plumbing, unichip, bradied hoses for oil for turbo, inlet and outlet, and then tuned, depends on the comp you are running on your engine at the moment, you wont need a decomp plate if you run around 6-8psi it should be ok without removing the head, but make sure you get the vehicle dynoed straigt away, dont drive the car around only to the tuner, as you wont be able to tell if the vehicle is tuned correctly.
Its that simple, and if you want to raise boost then we taking about decomping and rebuilds.

#4 ·
yeah lookin at my mates ef you might be able to get away with a top mount setup have the output from the turbo facing the throttle body and put the top mount in between if you want to run it without going over 6-8 psi that should be substantial providing you get a decent vent for the intercooler maybe try a wrx or an mr2 one they might be small enough just a suggestion i know ill be running an ef inlet manifold when i finaly get my progect up and running just cause its already facing the right way for a low boost setup

#5 ·
ok, the ct20 is of a toyota celica, reason im using this turbo is because my mate is giving it to me because he just re built his engine and is usuing a ct28 hiflo with a t4 front on it. we were thinking about getting a rx7 intercooler and fitting it where my airbox is and getting xr6 bonnet scoops that will work so my cooler will get air, im looking at running small boost for now 5-6psi. will i need to decompress the motor for that amount of boost? i already have the exhaust made up for coming out of the back of the turbo and the mainifold is in process now. i am guess ill have to have it engineered also? how much would this cost im guessing around $400?. what else will i need to do??

cheers, rob

#6 ·
Check www.mrtrally.com.au for parts including i/c..
You won't need to decompress with low boost "imo".Just make sure fuel is up to the task and retard timming till you get it tuned properly.The turbo is on the small side.But you can atleast set things up and hope the flanges etc can be latter adapted to better turbo etc..

#9 ·
yeah 6boost is a pro and really knows his stuff. He's a nice bloke to (on the net at least) but he's gonna laugh at the size of that turbo. RX7 coolers are the best standard cooler you can get so thats a good choice. No need at all to decompress your motor for that baby. The most expensive bit is the manifold and IMHO as was said earlier make sure the manifold is over engineered to alow a bigger turbo later.
If your looking at a low cost way to get good power turbo is the way to go.
Your little turbo won't be good for hard reving though and will run out of puff at about 3500 to 4000 revs I think (educated guess I'm not an engineer or expert by any means I've just done a little research for my own project)
You'll need a chip to get this to work and my recommendation is the Chiptorque or Unichip most others are POS. A Tweecer would rock but there not supporting the 6cyl EEC4 just yet.
There is a guy on here Pete (Xrsomething or rather)
He's very knowledgeable when it comes to ford ECU's

#12 ·
yeah the flange will be getting made bigger, im not gonna run this turbo for long, just want it on there untill i get my hands on a bigger turbo.
will $3000 get me a nice turbo set up??

#14 ·
geez! 3000 bucks just for that!?? damn ill be savin alot longer cause i have to do the multipoint conversion before i turbo it (cpi i dont think will cope as well) so i can run the stock motor on low boost without new pistons or decompressing the combustion chamber? sounds alot easier than first thought still think ill go with a top mount intercooler for my setup maybe take your advice and use an rx7 one if itll fit oh do you need an engineer to check it once its done? or do i just inform the rta?

#18 ·
in err street machine mag and ford performance theres a mob who do turbos fitted for $5000 complete

same turbos as the ba's basically.. could be the easiest solution

#19 ·
Gas research do full bolt on kits with cooler etc. Theres details on there website. But the kits will be pricey, if you do most of easy stuff yourself like bolt on the manifold and turbo, oil lines, rest of the exhaust, plumbing to intake and water injection and then pay for gas reaearch to install the gas system and dyno tune it should be no more than 3 k.

Or am i dreaming, ahah

What ya reckon guys?

#20 ·
The real hard part is the exhaust manifold.Next would be bending the hot and cold pipes with mandrell machine..

#22 ·
but why gas?? i dont like the idea of running my car on lpg for the sheer fact its not always good quality gas sometimes the octane of the gas is lower when gas was first introduced it was fine and lpg setups were tuned to that now days its harder to get the tuning right cause as i said you never know how good the gas your puttin in the tank will be and running higher compression you want to make sure you are getting good octane fuel so your engine doesnt ping off its nut

#23 ·
the main advantange of gas is the savings on not having to bother the computer and chip it.
Thats a saving of what can be a few thousand dollars. It's also cheaper per tank of fuel and works better in a motor that has a normal compression ratio due to it's higher average octane.

#24 ·
in all seriousness get onto performanceforums and talk to 6BOOST.

He's very knowledgeable, and has churned out a pretty nice turbo EA falcon... And very obliging to help people going towards the turbo idea.

He's suggested i scrap my V1 T-trim idea and go for the big single turbo lol. Keep in mind you need to supply fuel and spark to the engine to suit the extra air/fuel going in... so be wary of the unforseen costs.

shane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.