I picked up the newest edition of Popular Mechanics today (April issue). They
have a nice article on the interceptor in there. They test drove a new 2001
and compared it to a 2001 LX model. The first part of the article, they got
you all hyped up thinking it was the next best thing to sliced bread. As you
read on however, you can see the disappointment in their words. The LX model
was actually faster than the interceptor AND did the slalom better! I really
want to write in to this magazine and tell them if they want to test drive a
real police car, test a 9c-1. Here are some actual quotes from the April
article: "How can this be? The civilian car is faster than the Interceptor?
We frantically call our contact man demanding a Police Interceptor with the
real cop engine. He hangs up on us."

"We drive on, devastated our lifelong image of the American police car
shattered."

"In fact, our Police Interceprot test car is nothing more than a production
car with blacked-out trim and a jacked up suspension."

So what do you guys think?!!!!!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Marqman said:
This was emailed to me........

"In fact, our Police Interceprot test car is nothing more than a production
car with blacked-out trim and a jacked up suspension."

So what do you guys think?!!!!!
I think that article is accurate... Many think there is something 'magical'
about the CVPI "P71" Police Interceptors, and in a way there is, but not
when it comes to initial performance tests..

The Police Interceptors use the same 4.6L engine as civilian vehicles,
with only minor changes in the EEC to increase idle speed and increase
WOT shift points. But they are built for 'severe duty', and most of the
performance deals with this point. They have additional coolers, for
oil, power steering, etc., different springs and shocks, reinforced roof
and frame, improved cooling and electrical systems, and differences
in the transmission. They are built to jump curbs, idle for hours on
end, and run for 300,000 miles with normal maintenance..

The Police Interceptors also have 'traction lock' available, and the
electronic traction control is not even an available option.. The
civilian models might be as quick out of the gate, but do a high
speed run on a long stretch of interstate highway and see who
comes out on top :)

#3 ·
Very Very Sad!!!!

Well let me start off with a slight Echo of what my friend P71times2 has said.....To use a quarter mile Dragway to as a comparison of function in regard to a Police car is nuts!!!...any pursuit in that short of a distance would never allow a car to show its full potential anyway...No matter what kind of a car it is. .....I do agree that thre Mystique of Police cars being the Factory Born Monsters of all time is vastly overrated.....I have had people come up to both of my cars spouting all kinds of uneducated things about it.....OH Man that's got the Interceptor Engine in it.....Is that a 460? or is that a 400 something?.....and then you tell them it's a 281 or a 351 and their jaws drop to the floor!!!!......Really and truly Police cars since the dawn of the Catalytic Converter have not been all that Impressive IMHO.....Ford was on a good roll with the Mustang SSP.....and then stopped....Chevy is doing some cool stuff with the BC4 Camaro.....but as far as any 4-door cruiser goes none of them light it up for me in any special way anymore......The best part about them is safety...and a little degree of stealth on the Highway....Cops tend to not fool with you....and some folks get right out of your way........Allen

#4 ·
"as far as any 4-door cruiser goes none of them light it up for me in any special way"

Have you never driven a LT1 Caprice police car????? I think the car lights it up pretty well. Better cop car to come along in YEARS.

Thanks for the kind words about the site. You will see I added the P72 forum.

#5 ·
It ain't all That!!!

Tim Thanks for the adjustment to the police car segment!!!......I do agree with you about the 9C1 Caprice being a Fast Mover!!!.....But its handling characteristics "Stink" :(..The car even in reasonable shape will " Nickle and Dime a person to death!!!...The Transmission is terrible too!!!!.....A good Top end speed is not the entire picture....I'll take the CV any day!!!!...The Rolling Baked Potato is way overrated and priced beyond its real value in the market place too.....I could have owned a few of them in the last few months....But I just keep passing them up due too the Horror Stories on what it costs to keep them in repair!!!!.......Allen :D

#6 ·
Man I have to disagree with you on the Caprice cop car issue. I will say that ANY cop car, baseds on how it is used will be a pc of crude or a nice ride. I have been around these boards, mailing lists, clubs for years now, ford and chev cop car types, and I feel they are break even, one is not better then the other as far as the HOLDING UP of the cars. If the car is taken car of, it will hold up. My 94 9c1 is at 186k, all it has HAD to have fixed.....Waterpump, starter, rotors, air cond. compressor, heater core..... All other repairs have been NORMAL maint. I don't think that is bad for 186k mile car.
AS far as handling I can only compare it to my 93 marq since I have not driven a Vic cop car to date. I plan on purchasing one in the coming years.

#7 ·
Respectable Figures!!!

Tim would say 186K with so few repairs is very respectable....I would however not call this the "Norm" for the 9C1 in the Broad scheme of things!!!!...Everyone I have ever known whom has had one has complained about the brakes ,Transmission and over all cost of repairs on this car. The Purchase price for an alike year CV is usually a good bit higher too!!!....I would venture that this is due to the LT1 motor if nothing else.....Allen

#8 ·
We will just have to disagree I guess. I love both cars, and can fairly say that I have seen, heard, and read the same good and bad stories on these cars. I will give you the fact that the 9c1 probably costs more to maint, LT1 motor being the major factor.

#9 ·
No Biggee!!!

So We don't agree entirely....No Biggee!!!....That's why they make more than one type of car.....I will go out on a limb here ,being a Blue Oval fanatic....If the right 9C1 did produce itself at the right price and under what I would call Optimum conditions I would buy one just for the Heck of it .....I didn't mean to come off like I was dumping all over this car.....I was mearly passing on the stories of the majority of the 9C1 owners I have talked too......I am a Ford Guy!!!!....I however would not pass on the perfect example of a 9C1 or a BC4 , Face it, I like Police cars No matter who's Logo is on the Grille......Allen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.