Ford Forums banner

Weird problem!

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  snavy 
#1 ·
hey all another problem! I started the car today, and for some reason the revs were hunting. It seemed to settle down a bit, but here and there at idle, it would jump a bit.

While driving at a certain speed, if i came to a hill, i would give it more gas, and there seemed to be a small jolt which seemed to happen every 2 seconds? They arent big jolts, but just noticable.

Its feels like the motor is misfiring?

or is it something else?

thanks

#4 ·
seems to be a miss....maybe plug or lead if its that regular.
Plugs....remove, check. If they are cracked, corroded, or covered in thick black soot, clean or replace.
Leads are a bit trickier, I find the easiest way is to swap them off another car one by one till the problem goes away, but i have a few cars to play with.
Somebody else may be able to tell you more.....perhaps a car sparky could test them?
Also, check the inside of the dizzy cap for deposits which could affect it. I had a similar problem with mine, found out the dizzy cap was loose.

#5 ·
ok car broke down on side of road and i couldnt start it! so that means its the ignition coil right? Cause i had the same problem 2 months ago, and the syptoms are the same.

The cars ticking over but isnt firing. So how many coils are there on the I6? 1 or 6?

thanks

#6 ·
Could be your Dizzy, I had a similar problem on my old ED where the IDle would hunt and you would be driving along then it would just stop, then when trying to start it agian it would kick over but no go , I would have to leave it for a few mins then it would kick over, and away you go. I turned out that it was the Dizzy, the bushes were worn and were siezing against the shaft.

#8 ·
Snav, if its an EF yiou have (I think) 2 coils.
Any other E-series has 1 coil as far as I know.
You wil either have to check out the dizzy, leads, etc yourself, or pay somebody to do it. Chances are the problem is with the injection system.
Let us know what it was hey.....

#9 ·
Re: re

shorsfall said:
Hey Snav, my NF Fairlane is doing the same thing. What ended up being the problem???
yeah it was the coil! They installed a faulty one. I got an EL, so i dunno how many coils there are. But ive noticed that the car has no power at all?????

had a service done, changed sparks, ignition leads, so what can it be?

thanks

#11 ·
yeah thats a coil problem as well. Mine was doing that about three days before it just died. Also i saw the mechanic replace the coil and it didnt seem that hard to get to. On the right hand side of engine, just a bit in front of the dizzy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.