Ford Forums banner

new cam

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Soxx 
#1 ·
Gday all,

am fitting a new cam this weekend with rollin's help. is it worth getting the vernier cam gear or is it shite??? am putting in a crow stage 2 and have decided to go with the standard springs etc in the xh

#2 ·
A vernier drive can give you a fine tune on timing in relation to the cam. So yeah since your changing the cam you may as well get the vernier cam gear. With a dyno tune a vernier cam gear can unleash a few more km's provided the tuner knows what he's doing.

#3 ·
I would buy the vernier gear.
The gear enables you to advance/retard the cam.
Set at zero degrees give the results that the cam grinder intended.

However (generally speaking), advancing a cam will shift the power band downwards, and retarding it will shift it upwards.

It can be handy if you find the new cam is a bit docile down low, you could advance the cam a few degrees and improve things. Of course this would be at the expense of top end power.

Rick.

#4 ·
I would advance it, I dont go and drive around at 110kmh in second gear where the power peaks, do you? lol.

#5 ·
It depends if you have a dial indicator and degree wheel to degree the cam in. Otherwise other than adjustabilty its usless. imo I could be wrong...

#6 ·
ebxr8240 said:
It depends if you have a dial indicator and degree wheel to degree the cam in. Otherwise other than adjustabilty its usless. imo I could be wrong...
You are right to a point.
I'm not certain, but I think the vernier gears have graduations marked on them. Just like a multi keyed crank gear for a V8.

That's if all the machining is spot on, so yes, to do it properly, you would need a degree wheel and dial indicator.
But once the cam is in, it should be easy enough to retard, or advance it to get the engine response desired.

Rick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.