Ford Forums banner

relief valve-single rail 4spd manual-borg warner

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  xbwgn 
#1 ·
can anyone tell me how the relief valve works and how it might allow oil to escape

#2 ·
The relief valve lets the pressure out of the box so it doesn't blow the gaskets out every time you go over a bump and the tailshaft goes in and of the back of the box. The valve is right up the top of the box on the extension housing. It wont see much oil up there unless you have overfilled the box.

#3 ·
I am assuming you have a "X" series car. (if you've got a single rail) The oil around that valve could be coming from your rocker cover gasket. On these, the cork gasket goes hard or the rocker cover works loose, the oil can then drip down the back of the motor and settle on the top of the gearbox.

Hope it helps

Paul B
XR6WGN

#6 ·
i had a problemlike that on my coupe with a single rail if i parked the car on a angle with bonnet facing up the hill.
Oil would leak out around the extension housing so i pulled it out put new gaskets in and it still does it.
But im think ing mine is coming out of relief valve aswell the box isnt overfilled.
my solution was to park in the driveway with the ass of the car higher now it dosnt leak. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.