Ford Forums banner

Small self-repairs question AU-falcon

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  taximan 
#1 ·
Just wondering, what would i require to fix this job.
My mum got hit in the back of the car a couple of months ago by someone in a ute (my sister says) but it was at a roundabout and happened just when she started to take off. And she thought it was something wrong with the auto transmisition. And thought i did something to the car the day before. Anyway i can't belive she didn't even look in the rear mirror or anything, its not a big damage, just looks ugly. :p
Just wondering could it be possible to repair it myself, i'm thinking of getting a filler and fit it up and sand it back then get some paint and go over it? Any ideas?
Also is there such a filler product and what is its name, if you can tell me where to purchase it from that would be great as well.

Thanks

ps.dude had a pointy thing at the front of his car hence the square cut in.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only prolblem if you do it yourself it could end up looking worse than it did to start with. You can use plastic filler (also known as bog) in bumper bars but it doesnt stick to the plastic very well and has a tendinsy to crack out. If you really want to have a go at it heres what you should do.
1- scuff the area of the damage and probably an area 2 inches around using 120 grit sand paper. dont sand back to the plastic because the filler will stick better to the scuffed up paint.

2-mix the filler up and wipe it in.

3-leave it for 2-3 hours to dry.

4-sand using a flat block with 120grit and then 240grit

5-using 240grit sand out around the filler about 5 inches or even better use some scotch brite with prepsol and wipe off with a rag.

6-mask up the area with paper out to where you scuffed up the paint and use a good under coat.

7-let dry for however long it says to on the product and rub the area with 600grit wet and dry and the 800grit. rub futher out with the 800 grit.

8-mask up again and spray your top coats and dont spray right up to your masking because it will leave a hard edge.

This isnt the way I normaly do things like this but its probably the easiest way for you.
You can buy plastic filler from most car shops like super cheap.

#3 ·
Don't use the touch up paint kits. The colour match is very average at best. Go to Autobarn or one of them car accessory places to get a colour match for the paint.

#4 ·
The pictures did not work so I have no idea of the damage but AU1 rear bars are about $150 change over and AU2 are about $170 plus painting also if the dent is not to bad a good crash repairer can fix it.For example I dented my front bar going over a dip too fast and the crash repairer changed $100 to take the dent out and spray the entire front bar.Get a quote first you may be surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.