Ford Forums banner

Screeching noise on ED

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
G'day all. Received an enquiry today from Adnan, the owner of an ED Falcon. Here it is:

"I was just wondering if you would be able to help me fix a problem i am experiencing with my 1994 Ed Falcon. This car has done 134,000ks and has just been serviced recently It has had no major mechanical problems throughout it's history and has never been involved in an accident.

However over the past few months I have noticed a very annoying problem. When the car is started the the car makes a screaching noise for about a minute or two and then goes away.This problem also occurs when turning the airconditioner or heater during driving. I have been to a mechanic who oiled the fan belt. This fixed the problem for about a week. Then the car started making the same noise again. I have changed the fanbelt but this didn't fix the problem as well. A few of my neighbours own EA-ED falcons and they have similar problems. However I
have noticed this problem occurs more frequently with the ED Falcon than the EA Falcons.

I will be grateful if you would be able to help me solve this problem.

Yours Sincerly

Adnan"

Any help appreciated :thup:

See less See more
#2 ·
It could be one of the idler pullies. My old EA used to whine due to one of the pullies, stick some oil on the pullies and see how you go.

#3 ·
Bearing?

Sounds like it could be a shot tensioner bearing for the A/C belt.

I had a similar problem with my ED Falcon and it turned out to be a seized bearing in the tensioner pulley.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brendan

#5 ·
Mine does the same thing. But i know what my problem is.

Ive done the front of the head gasket...and its pumping oil out onto the belts :S

Not happy, but its getting fixed in the next few days so it should be all good.

Thanks

Dane.

#6 ·
Here's one from left field.Not common but i've come across a few.
Check the alignment of your pulleys.Aparently some 4 spd auto transmissions put excessive pressure on the engine crankshaft causing wear on the crank thrust faces.This in turn makes the crank move backward and forward puting the pulleys out of alignment.This is evident by checking the crank end float.When this happens it doesnt matter how tight you do the belts they will still squeal.I hope this isnt true in your case but gives you something to check.

#7 ·
IAN SCHMIDT said:
on the ea to ed with the multi rib alt belt it has to extra tight or it will be noisy on start up,
I did that, and a few months later when I gave it a bootful in 1st from a roll the belt snapped, taking the power steer belt with it and breaking the plastic undertray.....

#8 ·
I have the same problem - ie. alternator belt screeching on startup when cold - it's gotten worse since fitting thermofans (I think the battery is generally sucked down a bit more than it used to be - so more load after startup).

IMO the big problem is the tiny pulley on the alternator and the geometry of that belt - ie. it makes bugger all contact with the alternator pulley.

The comments about crank end-play are interesting too.

I'm currently looking into what the longest possible belt is that can be put on and still pulled up by the tensioner before running out of travel - this will slightly increase the amount of circumference contact on the alternator pulley and hopefully improve grip somewhat - I'll post on how it goes (waiting for hopefully the right belt to arrive anyday).

BTW - for anyone tightening their ED style alternator belt, you MUST loosen the pivot bolt that attaches the Alternator to the mounting bracket on the block - it's 9/16 and you reach it from underneath. If you don't loosen that bolt it will be resisting the tensioner adjustment - in the extreme you can strip the tensioner "teeth" on the arm. Of course that bolt must then be retightened after the adjustment has been made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.