Ford Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed XR6 Turbo Owner

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  xacoupe 
#1 ·
I own a BA Falcon XR6 Turbo Ute and have a major problem with it.
It is supposed to have 450nM of torque between 2000 and 4500 rpm, I have had mine dynoed and it actually drops off in torque at 2000 rpm and doesnt pick up agin untill 3500rpm. It is 35- 40% down from Fords torque specs in this rev range.
It is supposed to have 4psi boost at 2000rpm, mine only has 1.5psi, at 3500rpm it finally has 4psi boost, and at 5250rpm it has nearly 5 psi boost when it is supposed to have 7.6psi. At 5250rpm, it only has 150 rear wheel kW. It has been to and from Ford for the last 3 months (since i bought it new) and they have had a few mechanics look it, they even sent a mechanic up from Melbourne, who said that he thought it wasnt far off the pace and basically didnt want anything to do with it while the dealer mechanic admits that it has a serious problem, he described it as a gutless piece of crap. It has no go until it hits 3500rpm, and i have been dragged off by last years model Fairmont Ghia... I want to know if anyone else has had any trouble like this as Ford dont seem to want to know anything about it and i want to take the matter to consumer affairs. The Ute in general is a very good vehicle, except for the power factor. Id be happy to hear from anyone else with a similar problem with the data to back it up as i want to get this matter sorted out one way or another ie, fair trading department etc, then possibly even to court. All i want is the power that they quoted to everyone and the torque to use it...

See less See more
#2 ·
XRT sleds go as well as the sedans .. a little heavier and rigid rear but otherwise just the same ...

Ford PR might be the best avenue ... FORD have had bad experience with some of their cars being way under spec (eg most of the 99 Cobras in the US) ....

You have all the information you need by the sounds of things ... sounds to me like it's the ECU/boost controller ... has the ECU been replaced (not just checked but replaced) ?

Just go for the juggler with them .... 150 rwkw standard or 165 shootout is about 10-15% below par and the torque should come in clean @2000

Good luck and let us know how you go ....

#5 ·
ray1 please let us know how you go with this problem.i am looking at getting a turbo but i want to make sure that it is the right way to go cheers.

#6 ·
Do you feed it the good fuel all the time?
I know with "enemy cars" , what I would call "anti-destruction mechanisms" were built into the computer! I beliveve the Turbo has a couple of these on board as well in its computer.
May be just see if they can change your computer or "flash" another program into it.
After prolonged use on a dyno a stock GENIII's power starts going down because of the computer and the Heat etc.

motomk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.