Ford Forums banner

design a stereo for my car

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  XF Falcon 
#1 ·
gday peeps
im in need of some advice for a new stereo system. ive got a 94ed farimont.
i was looking at 2 x 300w rms 12" pioneer subs
a kicker 4 x 75rms amp (2 x 300rms@2ohms)
an mp3 head unit with steering remote
6" component speakers for the front and
6" x 9"s in the back

firstly do i really need 6x9s in the rear, bloke in shop said just 6s would be alright because of the subs
secondly whats the best deck going around and what are the prices, ive got some 6x9s and 6s sitting at home at the moment 330rms and 250rms respectively but as im probably only running speakers of deck (or getting another amp) maybe i should get new speakers as a mate wants mine. oh and i heard one bloke say he fitted his 6x9s in the rear without a spacer, hes got an ea. i dont want to spend more than 2-2.5G

if youve got any better ideas let me know im open to all suggestions

#2 ·
Put the 6 by 9's in if you want but 6's will look more factory and less theif friendly with stock speaker covers in the back.
Make sure you get good splits up tehe front. I had infinity kappa 5.25 inches in my ED 6's were too deep. They sounded very good. With a 2G budget you will go very well.
I suggest decent head unit $500
good splits $300
Rear fill $200
Subs $250 each
maybe 2 jaycar response 4 by 100's to run everything. 1 for the subs and 1 for the speakers.

hope that helps.
Dan

#4 ·
i doubt very very much your 6x9's are 330wrms and your 6's 250wrms. (more like max ratings)

Look to spend most of your cash on the front speakers+appropiate amp to power them. Many good setups have a front amp+speakers that cost more than the rest of the system put together. Look into brands such as Dynaudio, Focal, MBQuart, DLS, Morel, Boston Pro, PG etc. and a nice 2x100+wrms amp to power them.

#5 ·
my bad
6x9s 250wrms
6s 165wrms

two 4x100wrms jaycor amps will set me back about 810
and that will be 1 amp for subs(2x300wrms bridged) and one for speakers.
so far car shops have suggested MTX and infinity for the front but they have only about 60wrms rating what effect will it have on the speakers if you put a 100wrms amp into a lesser rms speaker. will it just wear out quicker or sound better

#7 ·
My infinity splits are 95 wrms. I picked up my jaycar amp for 330 in a group buy off the fast fours website.

Usually i only set my amps at half gain so not all their power is running through the speaker. Just as long as the speakers dont clip or distort (adjusting the gain solves this) they will be fine.

Dan

#8 ·
to adjust your gains, play a CD or whatever, turn amp gains right down, turn deck volume to 80% and slowly turn your amp gains up till you heard distortion, then turn gains back a tiny bit.

only if ya needed this info :)

also the 2x150 is a pretty powerful amp, it puts out 450rms when bridged.

G
#9 ·
what id say to do is Get

2: Fourchannel Amps

A good set of Splits for the front make sure they are a good brand not just some shitty set of splits

good set of 6x9's

run the 6x9's and the splits off one of the four channels,

get the two subs and have them on the other four channel.

or what you could do is make the subs (paralell or series) wired so then they only come out to one set of cords and run the 6x9's and the subs off one four channel and then run the splits off of a good 2 channel amp instead of a four.

get a head unit with 3 sets of RCAs also, a deck id recommend is the Panasonic one which is mp3. which is this one http://www.panasonic.com.au/catalogue/details.cfm?pcode=CQ-DFX572&pdiv=CDT&cat=12_2 .

but yeah thats just my two cents

Damien

#10 ·
I personally wouldn't get 6x9's, because the subs are going to make enough bass.

#11 ·
thx for the feedback dudes
heres the story so far
im still going for the 12in pioneer subs
i think that pioneer make a deck at least as good as the panasonic, they both only have 2 preouts though the panasonics are 2.5 instead of 2.
2 response 4x100wrms amps, i dunno if these are any good but i hope so.
then just 6ins for the back and some fine 200wrms splits for the front, and the speakers will be run off one amp and the subs off the other. the whole thing looks like it will cost me about 2100 including a sub box and installation gear

#13 ·
i'd go with the pioneer subs, and also with pioneer 6" bullet splits w/ tweeters, and id go the new 500w 5way pioneer 6x9s, id amp your splits and 6x9s if your going to have a sub with a small amp. then id go for 2 response amps from jaycard, 150wrms 2ch, run these 1 amp 2 each sub, the amps retail for $305. good cheap power. :D kicker gear is expensive, but if you've got the money 2 blow go for it!
rob

#16 ·
its an ED right? well you've got holes for 6" speakers in the rear parcel shelf. dont try putting 6x9s in coz they wont fit unless you stick spacers in, then they'll sit high and scream 'steal me'. plus they're better suited when there's no subs coz they can make more bass than 6"ers.

currently clarion are leaders for decks(these things are always debatable, so dont start) so they're a good pick.. but it comes down to Your choice. listen to your choice of deck and your choice of speakers working in the shop.. swap and change till you find what you like listening to.

#18 ·
bwhhahahaha 5way...........
there is no new 5ways? im just saying what ive been told. sorry im not as leet as some.. :D

rob

#21 ·
I have 4 way pioneer 6x9's in the back of my EA, bought many years ago, when they had only just been released to the australian market, i got them I think for about 130 or 150 they didnt know what to price them at, they had just arrived, when I went back a week later to check the price, they had em around 300, so right place right time I was happy.

Dellboy999

#23 ·
bro check this, if u want a sound system which will blow almost any car away.

2 Amps
A 2 channel AMp, 600watt min with 2 10inch subs in the boot.
A 4 channel amp, minmun 4x75watt.
2 sets of splits. 6.5inch, front and back doors with the woofer, and tweetrs in roof.
2 x midrange speakers in the back Shelf. 4 inch.

Now, i did a instaltion of a simliar system the other day in a EB. Jesus it was one of the louadest systems i had ever herd.

There is no point in have 6x9's and subs in the boot cose the 6x9 put out bass. I have a dealer which i can get you some good splits and a amp. I can get you a JDXL 4x75wat amp for around $110, and 2 sets of 6.5inch splits for around $230, and even better they come with 1x midrange speaker each.

Thats around $340 to $360 and that is damm cheap, and u will have the loudest car for treble in perth. :)

#24 ·
Ive got a Jaycar Response 4x100WRMS amp and 2x12" Pioneer 300W subs (the product code is something like ??304). Made the enclosure to specs, and running the amp in bridged mode so the subs are getting 300WRMS each.

Its so damn powerfull that its shaking my f**kn boot to bits and it sounds so terrible from the back of the car!! but inside it cranks very nicely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.