Ford Forums banner

1995 V6 VS Exec Sedan - Amazing

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  FoMoCo4eva 
#1 ·
I serviced my girlfriends VS on the weekend and full credit to Holden really, have to give credit where credit is due.

This car has done 190k now and about 100k in the last three years since she has owned it and from the second I lifted the bonnet I was surprised, not a single oil leak looks to have ever happened, I get under it and the same, nothing, no oil leaks of any kind, I have yet to see a Ford with this many km still so clean, even my dads new AU3 ute has a little oil seepage here and there.

The next thing I notice is just how easy the car is to service, I have serviced my EB XR8, XC-EL falcons and none even come close to these for ease of servicing, everything is just in the right place and easy to get too.

Anyway enough praise for one day, although very impressed, well done GMH on a top class vehicle.:iwsun:

#2 ·
Heh gave my VP V6 daily hack wagon a complete service recently from radiator to engine mounts. Only one leak and was from a worn rocker cover gasket. Its done 155,000 now. Almost too simple to service and fix to me. :) Also freaking cheap as well. People may bag out the 3800 V6 but it may be rough as guts and not as high tech but hasn't let me down yet.

#5 ·
I noticed mine only started weeping oil after I changed to 15w30. Now the thing just weeps like mad. Then there is the electrical dramas and the body creaks and dodgy auto but all in all I'm happy with it. Now if it was a BA Fairmont 5.4 wagon I would LOVE it.

#6 ·
Should see where my mate parks his VN. It was a nice looking driveway.
Think hes had leaks in every part possible.

Not a VS i spose

#7 ·
I did my apprenticeship at a holden dealer during the VN to VT days and I must agree with BOF on this one. The V6 commie engine bays were a pleasure to work in.

As for oil leaks, I would almost guarentee that any V6 commie of that series with no oil leaks has already had the motor out to re-do the rear main, sump and bearing cap seals. Towards the end of my time we were doing 2 or 3 a day. I had done so many that I could confidently do 2 a day on my own. Thats engine and trans out, sump and bearing cap off and then all back again.

The weird thing was that it was really quite easy to fix these oil leaks. Just a matter of doing a clean and by the book job on the seals, and they would never leak again. I could never understand why they couldn't get it right at the factory.

#11 ·
You'll be pleased to know BOF, mums VT SS has a slight sump leak. They're not all perfect... There's just something freakish about that VS
yep i agree there! thats definately a freak - i shudder when i get a repair order at work that has VN/S or even VT1 in the 'model' box...

i would much rather work on a I6!!!! try doing a steering rack in a commo, esp the VN/Rs - what a shitfight! and the pipe location on VS/VY leaves a LOT to be desired, AU ones are much easier.

i should get a transfer to a ford dealer...i MUCH prefer working on falcs...

PURSUTE it is the opinion of most mechanics at work that the sump and rear main seal leaks on the ecotec V6 are due to the rear cover plate not being aligned correctly on assembly - the plate is fitted too low and stops the sump from fitting flush to the bottom of the motor, and also resulting in uneven tension around the crank seal :) just thought you might like to know ;)

#12 ·
Thanks Rollin. Interesting info. I was actually mainly refering to the pre-ecotech donks though. I think the issue was actually fairly simmilar tho. except the really early ones with the rope seal rear main.

As for the spark plugs, although the leads could be hard to get off on some models, they are actually fairly easy compared to many others I've done. Try a VL 6 cyl especially a Turbo. Even better, try a v6 apollo/camry.

#13 ·
My brothers VP V6 hasnt had much wrong with it and he never looks after it. I basically had to hold him to ransom to get the coolant changed as it was just blown sludge. Doesnt use any oil, leaks a little but it never needs topping up, inbetween its once a year change.
Auto fluid has been black for years and it still chugs along, a bit rough, but im amazed its still running. If it was a Falcon Auto it would have died ages ago!
Only things to die is a coil pack, 2x fuel pumps and PS pump (Fuel pumps could be cause he runs out of fuel often? and PS Pump cause he was driving with no fluid for ages)

Yeah spark plugs arnt that bad, only if your trying to do them while its still hot, and if you dont pull out the plastic intake piping you'll get stratches all up your arm when doing the passanger side.

#16 ·
my mum owns a vs exec and she has had nothing but problems...the other month see was driving along and the rear window blew out!!

something to do with the demister and a electrical fault or something

it goes pretty hard when u boot it off the line but my god is it harsh sounding..much prefer my EA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.