Ford Forums banner

Mod Exhaust or Not?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rod c 
#1 ·
I was thinking of modifying the exhaust on the XR8 when I eventually get it. I made a few enquires and a cats back 3" system seems to be the go but I can not understand how a single 3" system compared to the dual system it already has can produce better performance and sound. In the "old" days any V8 with a single exhaust system was changed for twin pipes. I know I use to do it myself. Any IDEAS?
Regards rod c.

#3 ·
Cats back won't offer much gain apart from a better zorst note. According to Rob about 5kw or so at the rw. Alternatively, some exhaust mod workshops are doing modifications such as resignator removal for a slightly deeper note.

If you want around a 20-25rwkw gain go the full exhaust with hi-flow cats, and the note will sound even better.

#4 ·
rod c said:
I was thinking of modifying the exhaust on the XR8 when I eventually get it. I made a few enquires and a cats back 3" system seems to be the go but I can not understand how a single 3" system compared to the dual system it already has can produce better performance and sound. In the "old" days any V8 with a single exhaust system was changed for twin pipes. I know I use to do it myself. Any IDEAS?
Regards rod c.
Our sainless steel system is twin 2,5 and over the axle 3 inch then twin 2.5 out the rear.Makes around 10 kw+ at the wheels and sounds tough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.