Ford Forums banner

Check Coolant light

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Fordtech. 
#1 ·
Ok, my 91 GT has the Check Coolant light flashing occasionally, then going off. Theres plenty of coolant in the radiator and the resivoiur. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
When my EB did that, I found that the radiator needed flushing out. It had plenty of coolant, but blockages were stopping it from circulating very well

#4 ·
I thought it may be the water pump, but from what I gather, the water pump dying, or even failing completely, would not trigger the CHECK COOLANT light. Someone PLEASE let me know if I am wrong about this. I thought this light could only be triggered by lack of coolant in the resivoir/radiator. I should flush it, though, and I'll see if it helps any.

#5 ·
There should be a sensor located in the expansion bottle. This signals a low coolant level, nothing more. Some types have a float and magnet type of setup, sometimes the moving parts inside can stick which will occur with the normal surging of coolant on acceleration/deceleration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.