Ford Forums banner

NC Climate uncontrolled

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MADNC_8 
#1 ·
Every now and then my NC Ghia's climate control goes full hot, fan speed nine and vented to the screen.
It stays the same down to temp level 16.5. At 16, the temp goes full cold, the fan goes to H and the vents go to face level.
The only way I've found to get it all back together is to switch it on and off a few times using the Off and Auto buttons. Any ideas?

Cheers
Charles

#3 · (Edited)
The full hot and full fan, sounds like it going into demist mode, dont know why it would feel a need to do that.

Doesnt sound like it is going to be an easy fix, would have to guess a computer some where is not behaving and getting confused, wish I could offer more.

Good Luck.

Dellboy999

#5 ·
Generally if it goes to the screen it is a vacuum leak but that doesn't explain the fan speed. It's check the cabin temp. sender. I think it is located behind the grill next to the clock.

#6 ·
It's usually natural for when demisting for fans to go full speed because it works on auto and the fans will stay that speed till the temp sensor reaches desired temp.

As for why it switches to demist, I'm sorry but I have know idea.

#7 ·
Thanks guys
I posted the problem in the hope that it was a common-ish fault but it looks like I’m in for some diagnostic fun and games.
Dellboy is on the right track, it is going into demist mode. I caught it in the act yesterday just as it started its party trick. The demist icon on the display flashed on briefly and I think I heard a relay operate (no, I wasn’t driving at the time). Funny though, the display then went straight back to displaying auto and face level even though the system was actually in demist mode.
I still haven’t been able to work out what triggers it, it seems like a random thing—which to me seems to indicate something other than the electronics.
Next step, I suppose, is to get hold of a genuine manual and try to learn how it all works. I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Cheers
Charles

#8 ·
I used to have the same thing happen on the odd occasion on my EB Fairmont. I just used to get out the manual and go through the reset proceedure on the climate control - cant remember what it is though. Never got it fixed but it only happened about 5 or 6 times over the 7 years I owned it. I think it's just a bug in the system.

Cheers,

#9 ·
Thanks Casper, I thought I had it fixed when I ran the diagnostic mode and it worked okay. Didn't last though. It's getting harder and harder to restart it so I reckon you're right about a glitch--maybe the guy who programmed it went on to develop Windows 95.
I ordered a genuine manual from Bookworks today ($149 post free) so I'll check out the reset on the weekend. If it only does it once a year from then on, I'll be a happy camper.
Bit annoyed though, I paid a whole $5000 for the car (5 litre, 210000k, not at all shabby) at John McGrath Ford (ACT) last Saturday and look what happens...

Cheers
Charles

EF, NC, VP (oops)

Old mechanics never die--and their tools don't rust either

#10 ·
found the bugger

Yay!
On further diagnosis, the system wasn't switching to demist after all, at fan speed 9 there's a fair amount of air bleed to the screen, making me think it was going to demist.
After trying everything I could think of, I resorted to the 'thump the crap out of the dash near the sensor' method and every time I did it, the temp went back to where it should have been. Just goes to show, sometimes the old methods are the best.
Thinking it was an intermittent open in the cabin sensor circuit, I pulled the sensor and control unit out and disconnected all the relevant conectors. I didn't find anything obvious apart from some wires near the sensor that had been trapped behind some trim. I pushed and pulled all the connections etc. with a multimeter attached, couldn't find any opens so put it all back together hoping it was just a dry joint at a connector.
Just to find out, I disconnected the cabin sensor with the system running and it did exactly what it had been doing when it was playing up.
Just back from a long drive and it seems like it's fixed now.
Wasn't hard to get the sensor out, if anyone has a similar problem, I can copy the removal procedures from the manual.
Unfortunately, if it's the actual sensor at fault, FOMOCO don't stock 'em any more...bastards.

Cheers
Charles

#11 ·
Lander said:
Thanks guys
I posted the problem in the hope that it was a common-ish fault but it looks like I’m in for some diagnostic fun and games.
Dellboy is on the right track, it is going into demist mode. I caught it in the act yesterday just as it started its party trick. The demist icon on the display flashed on briefly and I think I heard a relay operate (no, I wasn’t driving at the time). Funny though, the display then went straight back to displaying auto and face level even though the system was actually in demist mode.
I still haven’t been able to work out what triggers it, it seems like a random thing—which to me seems to indicate something other than the electronics.
Next step, I suppose, is to get hold of a genuine manual and try to learn how it all works. I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Cheers
Charles

mine does this too sometimes if you can work out why and what i need to fix greatly apreciated

#13 · (Edited)
Mine does this as well and in monitor mode u can watch it go from watching the temp perfect and then it seams to cut out and the temp decreases to zero. I have had the sensor and computer out about five times and checked the wiring and sensor for continuity and cant find a problem, even ran leads from the plug on the sensor to the computer plug incase it was the wires and the bastard thing still stuffs up and reads E3 error which is the sensor :angry: . Has any body replaced the sensor for this problem and if ford doesnt supply them where can u get them?

#15 ·
Hey brent, I also have the same problem with the E3 sensor on my fairmont ghia. So far I have done the following to try and solve this mystery:
-pulled computer and sensor out AT LEAST 5 TIMES and cleaned all the connections, I even crimped the connections a bit with pliers to make sure I have a good connection.
-checked wiring and connections with multimeter
-bought another 3 sensors from the wreckers and had each one in the car but they all still show an error after about 2 weeks
-put small screws on either side of the plug at the computer to make sure that this is not coming loose but still shows an error.

What I really hate is that when I reset it after doing some work on it, it works really good for about 2 weeks, and then for no reason at all I come to start the car up one day and again it starts to flash showing an error.
I'm just wondering if more people have this problem with their ecc but never realise it because the it still functions fairly well, or they think that the 3 flashes on start up is normal.
Also I have noticed that once in monitor mode the temp reading dropped to 0 for no reason, so I gave the sensor a few taps and it came to life again??

#17 ·
I was having a browse through,a dn i thought of one thing that no-one has mentioned yet.

Is anyone geting more power to the unit than it should be? Maybe it's getting a power spike and screwing with the system?

That's my thought anyway. Only thing i could thinkof was the power surge causing it to go haywire.

Hope this helps.

#18 ·
EVL-TE said:
I was having a browse through,a dn i thought of one thing that no-one has mentioned yet.

Is anyone geting more power to the unit than it should be? Maybe it's getting a power spike and screwing with the system?

That's my thought anyway. Only thing i could thinkof was the power surge causing it to go haywire.

Hope this helps.
well this aint as stupid as it sounds.. i am getting a slight electrical surging hapening throughout the electrics, something to do wit the alternator so ive been told.

should be able to get it fixed pretty soon so ill see if that solves it

i too have had the cabin sensor in and out of the dash numerous ocasions....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.