Ford Forums banner

XR6 problem for all BAs?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JR 
#1 ·
ive noticed a lot of people posting about a mystery rattle in their cars - well heres my experience...

came out of work and noticed a loud tapping noise coming from engine. Pulled over popped the hood and listened - very loud tapping noise from left side of engine - sounded like tappett noise (thought either no oil or a thrown valve). Not wanting to take any chances i drove straight to Ford in Penrith and got a mechanic to check it out.

Verdict - the noise is a rattling PURGE CONTROL VALVE - and he has ordered a new purge control solenoid - he also said three other BAs have been in this week to fix this problem.

Hope this helps anyone with this noise!

ps wtf does a purge control valve do?

#2 ·
Well the rattle we had in our XR6 was a faulty engine mount, which has now been replaced, and is fine. Was never a loud tapping noise, rather a creaking noise.

#3 ·
XRSIK said:
ps wtf does a purge control valve do?
The Purge Control Valve is a part of the evaporative emissions system of most modern vehicles.
In simple terms there is a thing called a carbon canister that collects excess fuel vapours (and in some instances crank-case vapours as well)
and feeds them via the purge control valve back into the engine inlet manifold.

The aim is to have a fully sealed fuel system where excess vapours are fed to the carbon canister and then reused when there is a high vacuum in the inlet manifold.

Simple explanation but I hope it helps.

Russ

#4 ·
SO would this cause a sound like a tappet rattle? My car has sounded like it's got a slight tappet rattle since the last oil change at 15000kms, and I was watch when the oil was poured in, saw the rating and the amount used, so i know their both correct.

It's not a major noise in any way, just that slight tappet like sound when the car is under light load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.