Ford Forums banner

New Fairlane / G220 / LTD

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  LTDHO 
G
#1 ·
Well after looking at the new details on the LWB cars. even with Holden doing what they have done to the statesman/caprice, Looks like ford could be a winner here. They have gone back to the similar style of the NL/DL LWB cars. they look smick as.

Will have to go into town and have a good look at them.

What do others think about them.

#2 ·
Hell they look good but its breaks with tradition a bit. Fairlane has always had 4 tailights and I wish they had a different dash to the Ghia. Other than that they will be mean!

#4 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
The new fairlane look's prety classy much better than it's competitor,I cant wait to see one in the flesh,for me I think the G220 in one of the new silver's or white would be the go,mmmmn.
And with a larger boot opening it can take a euro pram...only prob is where would the dog go...oh yeah I still have that trailer at work

1st thought....mmm Fairlaine G220 and trailer

2nd thought....oh no...have to teach wife how to reverse a trailer...OMG!!! I've got more chance of John Howard saying sorry.. For anything...

#7 ·
Well if 220kw is underpowered, what's 245kw? Just alittle underpowered??

My only concern is the big gap in price from 6cyl Fairlane to V8 Fairlane ie G220. There should be a 5.4l Fairlane in between without the sports suspension, all the interior add ons the G220 has over regular Fairlane.

#8 ·
Yeah well - like I said - I obviously haven't grown up yet. Here's hoping I never do If I want benchmark power along with all the creature comforts. I understand the GRANGE is an HSV vehicle, my point is more and more people out there want this type of transport instead of having to buy something more suited to the racetrack if they want performance. I for one would order a 290 or maybe even a 260 Sports Fairlane tomorrow if only they would make it. For now though my 2 year old Grange excite's me every time I drive it.
Ditch

#9 ·
I went to the boat show today and seen and sat in the new G220,it's very upmarket and I beleive they have directed this vechile in the right direction,I feel very positive about the sale of this car now after seeing it in the flesh, well done Ford.

#10 ·
ArthurDitch said:
Yeah well - like I said - I obviously haven't grown up yet. Here's hoping I never do If I want benchmark power along with all the creature comforts. I understand the GRANGE is an HSV vehicle, my point is more and more people out there want this type of transport instead of having to buy something more suited to the racetrack if they want performance. I for one would order a 290 or maybe even a 260 Sports Fairlane tomorrow if only they would make it. For now though my 2 year old Grange excite's me every time I drive it.
Ditch
The Grange is a very nice car. The problem with making a Fairlane with either the Boss 260 or 290 in it is fitting it under the bonnet. Either the engine would have to sit lower or a bonnet with a bulge would have to be used.

Fairlane with Boss 260/290, bonnet bulge and nice bodykit would definately look the goods but I don't think it would make economical sense.

#11 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
I went to the boat show today and seen and sat in the new G220,it's very upmarket and I beleive they have directed this vechile in the right direction,I feel very positive about the sale of this car now after seeing it in the flesh, well done Ford.
I went yesterday and thought the car looked better in the flesh than it did in the pics I had seen.

I quite liked it, it would be nice to see how it drives and stacks up against the Statesman / Caprice / Grange.

#12 ·
AUForte said:
I went yesterday and thought the car looked better in the flesh than it did in the pics I had seen.

I quite liked it, it would be nice to see how it drives and stacks up against the Statesman / Caprice / Grange.
Did you enter the competion to win it for a couple off day's,that would be a blast.

#14 ·
After going for a drive in the G220 last week, I'd have to say it's a letdown. All that's changed is they put new tail lights and new headlights on it. It still has the old back window, the old rear-side windows. It's junk. And they just put the Ghia tail lights in it. The rest of the car is the AU. It sux. I think holden has a better chance. At least the statesman is different to the calais, not just a LWB version of the calais.

Another loser of a car from Ford. I was actually looking forward to the new fairlane. Not any more.

#15 ·
Trent Thomson said:
After going for a drive in the G220 last week, I'd have to say it's a letdown. All that's changed is they put new tail lights and new headlights on it. It still has the old back window, the old rear-side windows. It's junk. And they just put the Ghia tail lights in it. The rest of the car is the AU. It sux. I think holden has a better chance. At least the statesman is different to the calais, not just a LWB version of the calais.

Another loser of a car from Ford. I was actually looking forward to the new fairlane. Not any more.
I assume that you are refering to the windows behind the rear doors.

if you took the time to look, you would realise that they are actually larger than the ones on the AU Fairlane.

:teach:

#16 ·
ArthurDitch said:
Ditch
Fair point. Although I cannot say HSV have sold many Granges to this point.

#18 ·
Hey there RATT. My GRANGE is number 334 it's 2 years old, so maybe they've sold 6 or 7 hundred in total. That's another reason why I love it. I reckon I only see other Granges once a month or so if I'm lucky.
After reading Trent's review of the new Fairlane I guess I better start saving for the WK GRANGE.
Still love my XR8 for serious fun when it comes to supportting the Dunlop tyre company though.

Cheers
Ditch

#19 ·
Basically I like the new fairlane except for one thing, that damn split in the rear windows! They should have i piece of glass because theres another glass section incorporated into the car, which makes it look like the glass is split into three uneven and EXTREMELY bad looking sections. Throws the proportion of the car off from most angles...

#20 ·
AUForte said:
The Grange is a very nice car. The problem with making a Fairlane with either the Boss 260 or 290 in it is fitting it under the bonnet. Either the engine would have to sit lower or a bonnet with a bulge would have to be used.

Fairlane with Boss 260/290, bonnet bulge and nice bodykit would definately look the goods but I don't think it would make economical sense.

with the G220 being teh sports model it would not look at all out of place to have the bulge bonnet

im sure the luxo sports buyers wouldnt mind the extra power

i know i'd love to buy a G260 or G290 :s6: :s6:

#22 ·
ArthurDitch said:
Hey there RATT. My GRANGE is number 334 it's 2 years old, so maybe they've sold 6 or 7 hundred in total. That's another reason why I love it. I reckon I only see other Granges once a month or so if I'm lucky.
After reading Trent's review of the new Fairlane I guess I better start saving for the WK GRANGE.
Still love my XR8 for serious fun when it comes to supportting the Dunlop tyre company though.

Cheers
Ditch
Well you're one of the lucky 6 or 7 hundred! I agree on the frequency that you have seen Granges too, which really is a good thing anyway. As far as I remember they became available from back in 1996/97 first with the stroker Holden v8, and later with the GenIII. I believe there will be a FPV Fairlane in the near future with the BOSS. Whether it's 290kw or more I cannot say.
I'll make my own conclusions on the Fairlane/G220/LTD on the 25th of July when I go on a Fairlane/FPV drive day.

#23 ·
FPV need to bring out a performance pact based on the LTD to go up against the Grange. It would have a buldge and the power to back it up. As long as the price is fair compaired with GMH, no point in having it cost more...

I like the style of the g220, but Ford seem to be a bit behind in the Power ares, alot of ppl buy these to tow their horse float.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.