Ford Forums banner

MAF upgrade results

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  EL1XR8 
#1 ·
ANyway, as it says, by fitting a 'Vortech' 73mm MAF (19lb injectors still), a bit of 3" exhaust tube in the inlet duct (to smooth the air flow through the flexible section), cutting the 2.25" ends of the standard cats and replacing with 2.5" pipe, and loosing about 50kg of weight from the car, i dropped my ET from 14.42 to 14.01, and MPH increased from somewhere around 97 to 100.5. This was with normal street tyres (i.e. woeful traction).

I thought that this was a pretty significant drop, and this was the sort of info that i was after when i was looking to change the MAF.

OK not all of this would be due to the MAF upgrade, but i think a fair bit would, and apart from the MAF upgrade, everything else cost virtually nothing (if you do it yourself anyway).

Oh, i already had ported E7 heads, AU XR8 inlet (ported lower), 2031 +1.7RR, 65TB, underdrive pulleys, pacemakers & 3" exhaust. Auto too.

Hope this helps someone anyway.

#2 ·
Where did you get your under drive pulleys from?? I was about to order mine from Summit, they were going to be the March brand!!!

Cheers
Corey

#3 ·
EL1XR8 said:
Oh, i already had ported E7 heads, AU XR8 inlet (ported lower), 2031 +1.7RR, 65TB, underdrive pulleys, pacemakers & 3" exhaust. Auto too.
Great result EL1XR8!

How do you find the idle of the 2031 with the Auto?

Mick

#4 ·
Corey:
As i was not sure whether the US underdrives were going to fit or not, i drew up my own, and had a mate machine them up for me as a favour. I can't remember sizes at the moment, but if you do a search on "underdrive pulleys" i gave some info there about the sizes etc i used.

Mick:
Idle is good with the 2031 and auto. when i fired it up initially after installing it, it was really lopey (sounded mean), but the EEC seemed to pretty quickly work out what was going on, and the idle smoothed out a fair bit. You can still sort of tell its got a cam in it, but its not too bad. Now i can only compare it to the standard cam, but i reckon it works great, with little or no loss in low down torque too. The cam on its own dropped the quarter mile ET from about 14.7 or so to about 14.4, with absolutely no other changes (i already had the heads done, inlet, exhaust etc first though). If your signature is up to date, i would look at doing something with your heads first, before you look at a cam however (or maybe do the two together, and save pulling the engine apart twice).

#6 ·
EDXR8, those times were recorded at Calder, on one of their 'legal off street racing' nights.

I was pretty stoked with 14.01, but its just so close to 13.XX, that if i can get some grippier tyres, i would think that i will easily be in the 13's. Currently i have to launch at idle, and then gradually open the throttle as i take off. If you just nail it, it wheelspins.

#7 ·
EL1XR8 said:
EDXR8, those times were recorded at Calder, on one of their 'legal off street racing' nights.

I was pretty stoked with 14.01, but its just so close to 13.XX, that if i can get some grippier tyres, i would think that i will easily be in the 13's. Currently i have to launch at idle, and then gradually open the throttle as i take off. If you just nail it, it wheelspins.
Cool, I haven't run mine yet but now at least I know it should run in the mid 13's area hopefully. Also, is your diff the standard 3.23 or have you changed the ratio?

#10 ·
EL1XR8 said:
Mick:
....If your signature is up to date, i would look at doing something with your heads first, before you look at a cam however (or maybe do the two together, and save pulling the engine apart twice).
I'm going to fit a blower (Vortech). Just trying to make up my mind as to whether I do some head/cam/intake mods first or wait until the blower is fitted??

Stock standard I ran 16.2 @ Calder. Then with a K&N, Unichip, Pacemakers and a 2.5" single system (and 3.23 gears) I ran 15.7 on a 30degC day. I haven't been out since I had the chiptourque & 3" system fitted, however, I would doubt there would be a significant improvement on the time set with the Unichip & 2.5" system as there is not a great difference on the road, although the auto is shifting heaps better with the AU solenoid. So maybe there is a couple of tenths (and then maybe a couple more tenths for a cold winters night compared with a summers day!!)

Anyway I hope to have some low ratio gears fitted in the next couple of weeks and then I will take it out to Calder again to get a benchmark for either the head/cam and intake mods or the blower.

Mick.

#11 ·
EDXR8, before i brought this car, i thought that what you said was the case too, but this is definately a series 1, and as far as i know, these 3.45's are standard. The reason that i say that is that when i brought it, nothing was modified at all, even the complete exhaust was standard. I would be surprised if whoever owned it before me changed this and nothing else, but you never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.