Ford Forums banner

Fuel Pressure

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  EDXR8 
#1 ·
can anyone tell me if there is a consiquence to running an ea on a fuel pump which has a flow rate of about 80l/m standard is 160 -180 l/m

the only thing i can find is that the pickup is a little dull but the fuel consumpions is great.. i have changed from 320km town driving to 540km town driving.. but by running this fuel pump will it stuff other componts .. i have heard running a car to lean it can burn out the cat

is this true

#2 ·
Worse than burning your cat out, running lean will blow head gaskets, crack pistons or burn valves.

80l/m seems a little to low for a EA, but it might just be okay. The only real way of seeing is to get it on a dyyno and see the AF ratio's. But seeing you have seen a dramatic reduction in fuel consumption, I think you will find you are running quite lean.

#3 ·
if af ratio stands for "air Flow" then it is running at 14.5 at idle which is 500 rpm.. but would the flow rate really do that to the headcasket and valves

#4 ·
AF stands for air fuel ratio. 14.5 is already quite lean, you want it at around 13. You really want to know what the AF ratio is like at higher revs. Any pump should be able to keep up at idle, but as you rev it, the pump reaches it's flow limits and the fuel pressure drops quickly resulting in running very lean.

Lean mixtures result in detonation or pinging. Too much detonation and something will always break. Usually the head gasket goes because it is the weakest point, but as I said before you could also crack a piston etc.

#6 ·
14.7 is perfect for combustion true, but falcons generally run at around 13.0. After my latest rebuild, I blew both head gaskets within 500km. It was traced back to a lean mixture of 15.0 throughout the rev range. Granted that is on a modified V8, but it shows what running lean can do. I also gained 40rwkw from adjusting the AF ratio from 15.0 to 13.0.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.