Ford Forums banner

1990 Fairlane 3.9Litre

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mongrelEB 
G
#1 ·
We just got a 1990 3.9 Litre fairlane and it's in mint condition.

This car apparently doesn't have keyless entry, but it has cetral locking..

My question is, can i put a new ECU in it from a later model that has Keyless entry/smartlock and do that, instead of adding an aftermarket keyless entry unit?

Thanks,
Yagz

G
#3 ·
Yep, it's MPFI, So would a EB computer work??

The oil's like cream at the moment, the head gaskets gone.. We're gunna pull it apart this weekend! yipee, i get to help with a headgasket!

Cheers,
Yagz

G
#4 ·
Headgaskets are a piece of piss to do.... it's the scrapping of the old gasket off the block/head thats the real bastard.

Oh yeah, i'd say put in a aftermarket alarm system, but after doing mine it's a real bitch to do properly unless you got the dash out. So yeah just get later model ECU i guess?

#5 ·
If you want to add the Smartlock ECU you will also need to wire in the Smartlock module under the instrument cluster.
It will probably be no harder doing that than adding an aftermarket system.

#7 ·
One problem; you will find that your car has a seperate transmission ECU while the later model has the engine and trans in one ECU; the wiring harness will be different. Just fit an aftermarket from Jaycar or Altronics and buy the Ford Dash switch as well.

#8 ·
You will also need the smartlock ignition barrel. IMO its much easier to simply install an aftermarket alarm. Ud prolly get a shock sensor as a bonus too :)

Brent

#9 ·
No you wont need to buy an aftermarket ECU. Those one-piece ECUs came out with the ED, and some very late EBs as well. The NC I took my loom out of had a one-piece.
You will need: EBII ECU (just double-check the car it's coming out of has a separate g/box computer; some do, some don't. Ford.)
Smartlock module and plug.
Get the ECU plug too, you'll need to rip at least one pin out of it so you can connect Smartlock to the ECU.
Ignition barrel and key.
Consider door locks too. They are nonessential, but having the one key for all doors is nice.

Then, wire it all up, diagrams are on Fordmods.com as this is a fairly common conversion.

Personally, I'd stick an aftermarket one in - less work :) and also you can get some pretty cool ones these days which will page you!

#10 ·
I heard that if you run the 4.0L ECU on the 3.9L motor the engine runs rich or lean or something...im not too sure.

Maybe someone else could shed a bit of light on this

#11 ·
Nope. I've done it.

#13 ·
I was under the impression that the smartlock system was in one of the body modulars....

Dave.

#16 ·
yeah actually, just get an aftermarket one....

any theif can get into smartlock, even the freaking RACV guy can do it!!!!

go aftermarket, it's cheaper and better....

Dave.

#17 ·
Botch bought a ED Smartlock module off me to put in to an NA Fairlane. He wasn't actually installing the complete smartlock system, just wiring up the thing so it would control the door locks and flashing LED I think.

It's definitely harder than installing a aftermarket system, but it IS possible.

Sundeep

#18 ·
just go aftermarket.....

Dave.

#19 ·
Yeah I reckon. Unless your anal about getting the cool Smartlock remote.

Sundeep

#20 ·
Aftermarket will cost more but IMO is worth the extra cash for the effort of fitting the Smartlock.
You can get some really cool little gadgets that page you when the alarm goes off! hehehe me want.... :hungry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.