Ford Forums banner

Getting prepared for burnout comp... help!

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Quasi 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys, I wanna have a go at this burnout comp coming up and tonight i tried my first attempt in my car. I have a 3.9L Auto with LSD Diff, well I put the brake on about halfway with my left foot, and then floored the accelerator.... result being that the car surges forward like it doesn't even care I have the brake on.

Tried again with about 2/3rds brake... again car goes flying forwards. GRRR. Do I have to push the brake fully on to get the car to stay still and tyres to spin up? I'm afraid to do this because I think if I do something will probably pop.

Help me!!

#2 ·
Burnout comp... yeah i'll meet you there... ;)
You have to have the auto in 1st gear with the break firmly applied, depending if your auto is powerfull enough it should begin to crank em over, then you can lettem smoke up for a bit, then slowly ease off the breaks untill you peel away and do a decent burnout.

#3 · (Edited)
might have to use line lockers on the rear brakes
put a clamp on the rear flexable line that connects
diff to the body and then bleed both rear brakes incase of pressure in the line and check thought the night incase some pressure builds up
and rember to remove it on the drive home.

some time it takes a bit of a donut to get it started then apply the brakes thats the only way my fairlane smokes 277 lsd`s suck
or a bit of lube the only other way but real men dont need lube.

#4 ·
The way i find it the easiest is put ur foot flat to the floor and as soon as u do that just hit the brakes at the exact same time as hard as u can. After about 1 second u will lose traction then just softly leave your foot on the brake. This will keep you goin for ages if you wanna stop just let go of the brake and u will still be pullin a burnout for about another 10 seconds just you will be moving while doing it and making alot of noise :)

#7 ·
Put some wind screen water jets under the rear whell arch. The fill the tank with washing liquid, squirt it onto the r5eatr wheels, and hey presto :)

Id do the line locker thing (xf351gt has written about).

Good luck

#8 ·
My mate entered at Easter Nats. Did a MASSIVE burnout in CRAP 4cyl Corolla. It was pretty unbelievable for the car. His trick was to soak the rear tyres in a tank of Desil Fule :) Made a hell of alot of smoke. I thought it would catch fire but it didnt.
Dont use dishwashing liquid, u will loose smoke!

#9 ·
Diesel fuel!? WTF? What a tactic! I'd have thought that it'd get too hot and catch fire myself also but if it works, can't complain!

#12 ·
Re: Re: Getting prepared for burnout comp... help!

PHoeNiX_EB said:
Dont use dishwashing liquid, u will loose smoke!
It will hek\lp with initial spinning but, and it would be pretty cool if u started blowing bubbles :freak:

#16 ·
Think im going to have to try this diesel trick :)

#17 ·
I've run in more than a few of these, and won a few, I'm also one of the four judges at the summernats burnout comp, so I'll give ya the drum.

For any hope of doing it in that car clamp/lock off your rear brakes, first gear all the way is best (keeping an eye on your gauges), but if it really bothers you move to second after you have a pretty descent plume of smoke happening. Don't go to third, or you will lose the torque and momentum.

To make the biggest impact instant smoke at the startline is important. If you take too long to get that smoke at the start you'll spend the rest of the run trying to make it up.

Don't pull any special stunts unless you are certain it will come off as planned.

Make sure you have heaps of tread, in order to last the longest time possible, and get the most smoke you can. It's a bit short notice, but soaking a couple of tyres in deisel fuel will work wonders (after letting them sun dry for a while). If using steel belted radials then try to protect the paint with some cardboard taped to the guard (looks dickey, but it is cheaper than a respray).

Remember the saying "Go Hard Or Go Home"? Well, this has never been more true than in a burnout comp. If it doesn't break it's a bonus, so either you're going to do it or you're not.

This comp isn't on the street is it?

Have fun mate.

#18 ·
Re: Re: Getting prepared for burnout comp... help!

Quasi said:
I've run in more than a few of these, and won a few, I'm also one of the four judges at the summernats burnout comp, so I'll give ya the drum.

For any hope of doing it in that car clamp/lock off your rear brakes, first gear all the way is best (keeping an eye on your gauges), but if it really bothers you move to second after you have a pretty descent plume of smoke happening. Don't go to third, or you will lose the torque and momentum.

To make the biggest impact instant smoke at the startline is important. If you take too long to get that smoke at the start you'll spend the rest of the run trying to make it up.

Don't pull any special stunts unless you are certain it will come off as planned.

Make sure you have heaps of tread, in order to last the longest time possible, and get the most smoke you can. It's a bit short notice, but soaking a couple of tyres in deisel fuel will work wonders (after letting them sun dry for a while). If using steel belted radials then try to protect the paint with some cardboard taped to the guard (looks dickey, but it is cheaper than a respray).

Remember the saying "Go Hard Or Go Home"? Well, this has never been more true than in a burnout comp. If it doesn't break it's a bonus, so either you're going to do it or you're not.

This comp isn't on the street is it?

Have fun mate.

yup what he said :) i heard the other day useing the highest speed rated tires u can get is good normaly have nice soft compound and make lots of smoke and dont tend to fly apart as bad when thay go pop i have used diesel and also used old sump oil on burn out tires worked great lots and lots of smoke . and remember no statics keep the thing moveing and like quasi said keep an eye on the gauges most of all have fun good luck

#19 ·
Make sure you get a video of it, and try to get an in-car as well!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.