Ford Forums banner

Rollercam in early block

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  zc347 
#1 ·
Does any one know exactly whats involved in putting a hydraulic roller cam in a early flat tappet block? as far as i know theres two ways please correct me if im wrong
1....Fit factory roller lifters and dog bones and drill /tap block to mount spider then use a cam with a smaller base circle to let the lifters to run lower in the lifter bore
2....Buy aftermarket roller lifters joined in pairs with a bar with a std rollercam
im intrested in the first option and info on this would be great as I know i can do done cheaper than having to fork the $$$ for aftermarket lifters
Ive already had all the block(D10E) machining done and would like to go the roller lifter route with revised firing order as i plane to install late model fuel injection at a latter date

#3 ·
Roller Cam

I have always gone with option 2. After you have bought all the standard roller cam gear, then forked out for the small base circle cam (which costs more than a standard roller cam), sure, it is cheaper, but not by much. You are also left with an inferior setup.

If i were you, i'd bite the bullet and go link bar lifters an standard cam.

#7 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Rollercam in early block

zc347 said:
forgive my ignorance, but with option 2 wouldn't the lifters stick out of the block too far, especially with a high lift cam?
The only lifters I have seen for the option 2 requires the heads to be removed to fit, but I don't think high lift would be a problem with either options.

I am looking into this as well, I have the roller lifters etc out of a 5.0L to do a retro fit.
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=46400

#8 ·
Im still looking at option 1 as a work mate has a eb 5.0 motor sitting in his shed which has already had its injection removed and sold off.
I can get it for very few $$$.its a shame i didnt know about it before i went and had the 302 machined.
Damage 181... have you had the cam reground yet ? this is what i was planning on doing , is it an factory roller cam your having reground or can you use the 302 cam with the early firing order?
Ive got no problems with using a reground cam and since im not planing on going with wild lifts and springs i cant see there being any problems.
a grind like what your planning sounds just what im looking for.

#9 ·
O.K. ivegot heaps of time
What if i did this
1.place block on a mill
2. ream the lifter bores out oversize
3.Press in sleaves that stick out above the std lifter bores
4.hone the bores
Ta Da... install factory roller setup
Does this sound feisable or have i been smoking to many bannana skins?
Is there any dramas using a reduced base circle cam?
I went and priced a set of retro fit roller lifters to run a std roller cam yesterday
and they wanted $1350 for them i nearly fell over!
Any one know of them cheaper than that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.