Ford Forums banner

Cost of a respray

14K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  blueovalxfboy 
#1 ·
I was given an estimate of $5000 to do my EA in 2 pack.

Does that sound reasonable?

#5 ·
hey

gezz thats up there.

Whats the over all condition of the car, is it real shabby or just faded,,

check out prices of paint at retailers then arsk around at diffrent shops ,,
stick your head in the door and have a look at what they do.

youl no straight away whats what. bake oven is a defint goer.
It depends on the job ,, out side only or full on regloss door openings etc

just a coat over the top ...
There,s only the door handles to remove in the case of that take half an effot , the rest b/bars and mud flaps if you have them, tails and head lights are a snap ,, if you realy spending then theres the front and rear sreen seals,,

As said before the labours cheap compared with matrails

paint
prep stuff
tap
paper
masking paper
bloke to block it down correctly
cook it
put it back together.

good luck.

#6 ·
Evil Roy said:
I was given an estimate of $5000 to do my EA in 2 pack.

Does that sound reasonable?
About 8 years ago I got my XW done for $1500 by a guy who was just starting out. Excellent job too, but it was cheap because he treated it like a project car (the car was there for 5 months and I missed taking it to summernats by about 5 days) :/

$5000 is dependant on what's being done. Back to bare metal, rust cut out and straightened? My guy had every panel off the car and the engine out to do the bay. If you shop around I'm sure you'll find better, but compare what they plan to do.

#7 ·
2 pak is expensive because it's so dangerous.
obviously the person that quoted you either doesn't like you or doesn't like painting 2pak.
for $5000 I'd be wanting a show stopping spray job with a perfect body.

#8 ·
In the last 4 weeks I had a quote from a BMW registered repairer to respray a 1997 5 series to BMW standard of $8,000. The car in question was one I was looking to purchase with reasonable paint to a casual observer but not to BMW or my standard. Your $6,000 therefore sounds reasonable. My advice is to get lots of quotes. You usually get what you pay for.

#9 ·
The car is generally straight. 2 or 3 hails size dints in it. The paint is generally good, but a few scratches, stone chips, etc.

Car has no rust at all. He did say that would be removing the tail lights, etc, so I'd imagine it was a full body respray.

I will shop around.

#11 ·
Re: Re: Cost of a respray

carazy said:
for $5000 I'd be wanting a show stopping spray job with a perfect body.
When you find someone who does jobs like that please do let me know, you've seen my car and that was mates rates for the whole job, using the best materials he could get his hands on(eg 80$ a litre for primer) and taking his time to do the job(3 months) and it still cost me around 6K all up, which worked out to less than 4$ an hour in labour for my mate after materials where removed from the ticket.

He said if i wasn't a mate he would have asked for 10K for the job he did and my paintjob while not bad, is no where near the level of the top showcars.

Perfect panels and show stopping looks start at 10K, unless you have some real good mates who are prepared to work for nix.

#12 ·
I'm not sure if this is going to be a "show-stopper".

he DID say it would be a very good job that would last years. he said you'd be able to chuck thinners on it without damage. I think it was thinners.

Anyway, he's was talking about good job, obviously.

The car isn't going to ever be in a show, but I intend to keep it for some time, so i do want a paint job that will last.

Problems is how to avoid assholes in carparks who scratch your car because they have no brains and think it fun; or dullards who should never have been given a licence and can't park a car without 60ft clear radius.

remember that show "Australia's Worst Driver"?

Thems the peoples I'm talking about.

#13 ·
In my experience it is better to shop around and find someone who is happy to do your car the way you want it done and pay a bit more than to get a cheaper job from someone who dosent really want to do your job and is only doing it for the money. You can dramatically reduce the cost by doing stuff yourself like removing the guards and engine, stripping off the chrome, lights etc.
Have a look around the prospective shop and see if they are doing work on cars similar to yours. I would not expect the local prestige paint shop to want to touch an old ford but then again they might have an apprentice they would like to train on a vehicle that is not as time critical as an insurance job.
The bottom line is that if you are comfortable the job they will do is of the standard you want it would be silly to go elsewhere, save $500.00 and end up with a job you are'nt happy with.
Regds,
Tote

P.S. the ute in my avatar cost me $5500.00 in 1993 to spray and knock the dents out of. The panel beater had it for 10 months but I was very happy with the job.

#14 · (Edited)

I stripped the car back 2 the shell myself, he did the dents, rust, fitted the kit and primed it, I rubbed it back and he sprayed it, then I put it back togther.
it cost me $550 for paint (thinners, primer, clear, hardner etc..) and $600 for labour, and as you can see, its a top job :)

more pics here
http://www.wn.com.au/rcpark2/Ford/XFpaint2.htm

oh yeah my point was it is how much you pay, but somtimes paying cheap doesnt mean a cheap job, remember it come down to the skill of the person doing the job!
ask to have a look at some of there jobs, but I think $5000 is a rip! unless you are going back to bare metal!

#15 ·
Damn, 5k is a lot to spend on paint - if its a daily driver. Like you said, there's no accounting for the stupidity and inability of the general public.

Each to their own and all that, but isn't 5k getting close to the value of an entire EA ? I'd be pretty tempted to look at buying another EA thats possibly already had this done, and take any goodies from yours across...

#16 ·
basic rates for 2 pack respray of panels should be around 300 per panel. the shell is another matter. i know this as i have just been thru it all with my repsray.

#17 ·
We charge 3-4 grand for a basic respray which involves stripping the car knocking out some dints and painting the car.
About 3 years ago we did a really nice job on a hz sandman ute, bare metal respray, cut all the rust out, painted the whole ute and then blocked it down to remove every little ripple and then resprayed it black, it cost $7000.
When you go to your smash repairer ask to see some of their previous jobs and talk to the people that have done bussiness with them.

#18 ·
i got quoted a rediculous 5000 for this-

i already have the car fully stripped (rolling chassis)
all hanging panels were removed.

i cut the rust and i removed all the dents i prepped it in hi-fill spray putty and various other primers and also gave it a coat of matt black (to give a perfect base for paint.

all this fella had to do was apply 3 coats of 2pak silver and apply 9 coats of clear to it and he wanted 5000+ (5350 to be exact!!)

so i have thus grabed a 3 hp compressor a good spray gun or 3 and some paint.
i'll be off to hire a spray booth soon enuf and i am gona spray it my self.

by the same token i was also quoted 1600, 2300,2800,1700,1200!!,and 3900 for the same job as well.

so i advise either learn how to do it your self or shop around till you cant stand it no more and then just pray the painter you choose likes ur car!!

cheers.joe.

#19 · (Edited)

gm dstroya said:
i got quoted a rediculous 5000 for this-

i already have the car fully stripped (rolling chassis)
all hanging panels were removed.

i cut the rust and i removed all the dents i prepped it in hi-fill spray putty and various other primers and also gave it a coat of matt black (to give a perfect base for paint.

all this fella had to do was apply 3 coats of 2pak silver and apply 9 coats of clear to it and he wanted 5000+ (5350 to be exact!!)

by the same token i was also quoted 1600, 2300,2800,1700,1200!!,and 3900 for the same job as well.

so i advise either learn how to do it your self or shop around till you cant stand it no more and then just pray the painter you choose likes ur car!!

cheers.joe.
Thats a ridiculos price considering all the work you have done. If your spraying 2 pac don't forget to hire a big heater as it needs to be sprayed 40 degress plus and spend at least an entire day cleaning the whole area around where you are going to spray. 1 bit of crap gets into the paint and it can ruin hours of effort and a thousand bucks worth of paint. If your really lucky the crap will get in on the last coat and will polish out.

Also i would suggest going to your local TAFE and taking a course in spray painting. There are so many tricks you will pick up there its worth every cent.

Hope it goes well.
xdc351

#20 ·
Problems is how to avoid assholes in carparks who scratch your car because they have no brains and think it fun; or dullards who should never have been given a licence and can't park a car without 60ft clear radius.

YEH I KNOW my xf needs guard, headlight, grille, bumper, and mabye other work, coz this chick couldnt get our of her spot without hittin my car

#21 ·

gm dstroya said:
cheers.joe.
I didn't realise you could hire a spray booth! Where abouts are these and is that all they're known as ("spray booths")? How much are they to usually hire? And how much are the guns to hire? And one more q, where do you get the spray guns?

I've still got to find out how powerful my bro's compressor is... Forgot last time.

#23 ·
It's going to cost me all up $600 bucks to spray my mustang.

It has been smashed 50 times on the bonnet with a hammer, and the same done on the quarter panel. Hailstone dints in the roof, boot and bonnet.

$600 covers paint, primer, clear, hardener and bog. I have done 2cars, 1 bike and miscellaneous parts for other people, and have all turned out perfectly.

I've posted a thread ages ago detailing most things with painting. But as I'm a cheapskate, it's cheaper to buy the tools and equipment to do the job, rather than pay someone to do it.

I've learnt to recon motors,install aircon units (house and car), spraypaint, weld, industrial sewing, auto electrician and mechanic, by reading and doing. Heaps cheaper and good experience.

So $5000 sounds a little pricey to me. Rather spend that type of cash on upgrades for me cars!

#24 ·
cogo_81 said:
We charge 3-4 grand for a basic respray which involves stripping the car knocking out some dints and painting the car.
About 3 years ago we did a really nice job on a hz sandman ute, bare metal respray, cut all the rust out, painted the whole ute and then blocked it down to remove every little ripple and then resprayed it black, it cost $7000.
When you go to your smash repairer ask to see some of their previous jobs and talk to the people that have done bussiness with them.
7k for body work and bare metal. Please tell me your in Melbourne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.