Ford Forums banner

Buying an EFII Xr.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  YOOT 
#1 ·
Well i've just sent in the loan application and so far all is looking good. The fact that i've applied through my credit union should make it easier. God I hope it's approved!!!

Anyway the car i'm looking at buying is an Ford EF XR6, there are two at the dealers i'm looking at and both are series 2's. One of them has done 150,000 and is selling for $14,999 and the other 100,000 and selling for $15,999. I don't know if the extra thousand is worth the lower km's and the one with the higher k's is a manual which is really what I want. (The thing would rip). I've driven both and visually inspected and both seem to be in excellent condition from what i've seen so far.

Any ford enthusiasts able to help me. What problems am I looking for in the later E series? Also is it worth the extra 50,000 for a manual?

Thanks Guys
-kall

#4 ·
My young brother has a EF XR6,Gunmetal grey, with about 80,000 on it, hes aboutto put it on the market, wants to get a BA XR6, I 'll see what he wants for it, it is in Tassie tho, and hes just done new Rotors and chipped it.

#5 ·
my ef blew a head at 170,000 k's, and a few others i know have all gone between 170,000 & 200,000. I'd go the auto with 100,000 cause the other one will probably end up costing a grand or two extra in a year anyway. That money could be spent converting to a manual.

#6 ·
Go the manual if thats what you really want you'll regret later if you get an auto & it's not what you really wanted 150000k's is not a lot for a EF if it's been well maintained

#7 ·
get that u really want.
even if the gasket does go on it.
it only costs a $1000 to fix it (the money saved from not getting the other one)

deffinately get the manual :D

#8 ·
Yeah definately get the manual - Even though those prices seem a bit rich for EF XR's, when i was looking at cars my two choices were EFII Fairmont Ghia and EFII XR6, I eventually went with the Ghia, has all the luxury options in it, but retains the drive line (Diff, trans, engine, etc) of the XR6....

But for sure, get the manual - its cheaper to change a headgasket done than get a 5spd installed...

#9 ·
wooohoo!! manual xr6 it is!

The auto one sold, i went back there this afternoon. Hopefully this damn loan application is approved! (PLLLLeeAAASsssEE let it approve!!) Should find out tomorrow and will be back at the car yard as soon as I find out. Can't wait!

I'd much rather drive a manual. I have a low attention span and driving an auto = boredom = carazyness! hehe Also the manual is a hell of alot quicker than the auto.

#11 ·
A head gasket won't cost $1000 man, don't stress. Should be around $450-$600 depend on where you go. Ford will charge you $1000 but a good mechanic won't.

As for the XR6's they are put together a little better than the mass produced six's so expect a more reliable motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.