Ford Forums banner

Too much wheel spin

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Leotr 
#1 ·
I currently have 10' 12 slotters with 265/50/14 rear rims and 8' 225/60/14 from rims. I get way too much whell spin when taking off at drags the engine has good HP most likely around 350hp. I spin in first and mid way through 2nd until I start to get good power down, my 1/4 tims are mid 15.4's This would improve heaps if I didn't have to back off to stop the wheel spin etc.

I am planning to go to 16 inch rims (CSA Prowlers with 225's) should I go 55's or 50's profile and how much will these larger rims help me with wheel spin will it elimiate it?

I have a 9inch detroit locker with I think 2.75 ratio or 3.0, I do around 2400 at 100kph, through a toploader

Thanks

#2 ·
16" rims will totally ruin your choice of big sticky rubber. It took me 3 weeks to get my 255/50/16's and i cannot replace them if something goes wrong because noone makes them anymore.

My advice would be to get a set of 15" rims and some slicks as well as the 16's, its the best compromise!

#3 ·
Bro sounds like you got, some traction problems, first of all a manual with that much horses will always spin the wheels, I suggest go a 15inch rim, and source some sticky tyres, 255 should be good, but I suggest go auto C10 with 3.45LSD and a 3500 stall, with this setup, at the track run slicks with front runners, easy 13sec.

#4 ·
xdc351 said:
16" rims will totally ruin your choice of big sticky rubber. It took me 3 weeks to get my 255/50/16's and i cannot replace them if something goes wrong because noone makes them anymore.

My advice would be to get a set of 15" rims and some slicks as well as the 16's, its the best compromise!
What other rubber choices do I have wit a 16inch rim do they have 225/60? or 55? I thought there would be heaps of variety on quality etc. Is there more choice with 15 inch rims and tires?

Also how much are slicks? this would solve my problem on the track, but would only be track tires.

BLWNEB said:
Bro sounds like you got, some traction problems, first of all a manual with that much horses will always spin the wheels, I suggest go a 15inch rim, and source some sticky tyres, 255 should be good, but I suggest go auto C10 with 3.45LSD and a 3500 stall, with this setup, at the track run slicks with front runners, easy 13sec.
BLWNEB: The car is an orig XB GT coupe, orig cars are best left alone as they are, and I hate autos. I'll have a look at 15 & 16 inch rims with sticky tires this should help a heap.

What size rim? 8 inch which is 225 or bigger?

#5 ·
Not knowing which model car you have I would guess it has leaf springs? If so, check your spring stack for good separators, tight U-bolts, and bushes. You may find with the extra power the leaves are winding up causing large pinion angle changes which reduce traction. Traction bars may be a quick low cost fix if they're fitted right.

#6 ·
If it is genuine GT the diff ratio is 3.00:1.

Ideally, change the ratio to 3.5, 3.9 or 4.11 and go bigger tyre. On my XB coupe, I ran 255/60/15 on the rear as they fit and give lots of traction.

I'm guessing you are talking that this problem is at the track!?!? When I took mine down the 1/4 I ran M&H's G60 (or was it L60?) as these stand about the height as the 255/60.

this way you have more rubber without loosing ant acceleration.

#7 ·
XB GTs had tramp rods fitted standard.
I don't have a lot of wheelspin problems but I baby the car off the line .. the clutch doesn't like it but hell, the times are ok. I also have comepletly replaced suspension which may eliminate what AP was saying about angle changes.
I runn 225 55 16s with DUNLOP ( I got it right this time !) cheapies.
If I do break traction I am screwed as I have to completely back off to regain it and if I am still in 1st, I have to load it up slowly or I break traction again.
Despite what some people think, there is quite a lot of skill in getting your car down the 1/4 mile in a timely fashion.

#8 ·
Re: Re: Too much wheel spin

xa-coupe said:
XB GTs had tramp rods fitted standard.
I don't have a lot of wheelspin problems but I baby the car off the line .. the clutch doesn't like it but hell, the times are ok. I also have comepletly replaced suspension which may eliminate what AP was saying about angle changes.
I runn 225 55 16s with DUNLOP ( I got it right this time !) cheapies.
If I do break traction I am screwed as I have to completely back off to regain it and if I am still in 1st, I have to load it up slowly or I break traction again.
Despite what some people think, there is quite a lot of skill in getting your car down the 1/4 mile in a timely fashion.
What do the tramp rods look like? I've heard about them, Looks like I've secured some 16 inch rims, I just have to decide what tire to use. Is the V pattern better than the H type?

I agree is soon as you loose traction you might as well give up, by the time you back off to get traction then take off again you've lost too much time, I'm looking forward to giving the 16inch rims a go.

Whats a good tire pressure in these tires for track use? I was thinking around 15 PSI

#9 ·
What tyre pressure are you running normally?

One trick I tried was to have a pair of track tyres, and I used a Go-Kart tyre softening compound on them. made the tyre stickier and it hooked up a little better. Down side is that it can accelerate tyre wear, so you need to fit them at the track. Cheaper than slicks though!

#10 · (Edited)
The tramp rods are held onto the diff by the spring U bolts. They have an arm that goes towards the front of the car that has a bolt through the end that bolts into the chassis rail. It's anly about 8-9 inches long ( give or take a bit )
I have some LTD ones somewhere that one day I may shortened for the XA but I don't think it needs it at the moment.

I picked up .1 of a second dropping from 35psi to 20 ... just under 20 seems to be a fair pressure IMO

As far as H Vs V pattern .. no idea really... I think compound is more importnat than tread pattern ..

edit: lots of typos

#11 · (Edited)
If your losing traction with a 265 all you will do is smoke the 225's straight away. I can't think of any 225 that would grip better than a 265 in the dry.

Rim height makes next to no difference at all when launching, if anything a 16" rim would be worse because there is less play in the sidewall.

Yeah 16" rims have been heavily neglected by manufactures, the widest tyre you'll find at the local store will be a 235/50/16, with 15" you can get any size you can imagine, right up to 15X15" wide rubber!

I used to have problems with the XD, but i've now got some custom 6 leaf rear springs and new shocks and its heaps better now, but if you have 5+ leafs there are still having problems traction rods help heaps. I have set here but untill i need them i'm not goin to bother putting them on.

If you get the 16" rims look at getting a pair of 15X10" rims and putting some street leal slicks on there, superplus in melbourne have a good range http://www.superplus.com.au/ and if you want to drive with them on the street for a cruise they are legal too!

#12 ·
depends on the 265 tire i have the old bf t/a`s on xf and 235 on the ed and the grip of the line is far better on the ed a lot softer compound rubber is the main reason.

prices on the 16 ,17 is getting better but hard to find cheap 255`s without blowing the budget.

#13 ·
Re: Re: Too much wheel spin

EBXR said:
What tyre pressure are you running normally?

One trick I tried was to have a pair of track tyres, and I used a Go-Kart tyre softening compound on them. made the tyre stickier and it hooked up a little better. Down side is that it can accelerate tyre wear, so you need to fit them at the track. Cheaper than slicks though!
I'm running 35psi normal driving but will drop this to 20PSI at my next drag outing.

I'll have the 16inch rims by then (CSA Prowlers 8 inch) on the front I'll run 225/50 and the back 235 if I can find this tire to suit the rim. The 225's will be about $160 each. I don't want to add a compound that will excelerate tire wear, too expensive!

xdc351 said:
If your losing traction with a 265 all you will do is smoke the 225's straight away. I can't think of any 225 that would grip better than a 265 in the dry.

Rim height makes next to no difference at all when launching, if anything a 16" rim would be worse because there is less play in the sidewall.

Yeah 16" rims have been heavily neglected by manufactures, the widest tyre you'll find at the local store will be a 235/50/16, with 15" you can get any size you can imagine, right up to 15X15" wide rubber!

If you get the 16" rims look at getting a pair of 15X10" rims and putting some street leal slicks on there, superplus in melbourne have a good range http://www.superplus.com.au/ and if you want to drive with them on the street for a cruise they are legal too! !
The 265/50/14 are Yokahama's they have enough meat, but still spin, I must admit Calder is slippery, but in Second gear??

By reducing tire pressure there should be more play in the wall even with a 16inch rim.

Good idea to get a pair of 15/10 rims with slicks for drag only use. I might have to look into this!

I;m not sure about the suspension, setup will have to have a good look next time I'm under the beast.

Thanks for the advice guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.