Ford Forums banner

Loss of power

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  atec77 
G
#1 ·
1994 E-350 with a 5.8 351. Van has 150,000 miles well maintained no power. Does not burn oil or loose coolant. Complete tune up. I have had it to all the dealers in the area, no clue. I am think no timing advance. How do I check?, dealer says they can not. Any help and or thoughts!

Carl

#3 ·
the timing belt would be the last thing i would check.
first i would have the compresson checked and see if any valves might be burnt or something along the lines of really low compression.
after that then determine if you want to start checkin mechanical things like checking valve lift and from there checking the the actual timing of the cam in relation to the crank.
i think the dealer is right in saying they cant check for timing advance that would actually require a mechanic that knows something.
get yourself a timing light (preferably inductive pickup) and check the timing mark on the crank shaft pulley and simply raise and lower the rpm and watch the timing mark move back and forth.
that is you timing advance check.

G
#7 ·
Power Loss Update

Thanks for the replys,
Yes the engine runs great, just no power.
I checked the timing as you suggested, module out to set base line 10 degrees.
With module back in and engine running, timing is moved. On throttle up and down there is no change in timing advance or retard, solid as a rock.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Carl

#8 ·
my thoughts are its time to exercise your right to bear a big hammer.
no actually i am a little unfamiliar to that model but i would guess it should have a mechanical advance on the distributor and it should add 10 - 15 degrees of advance when the rpms are up at cruise rpm.
if it was mine i would pull it out and take it apart just for fun.
tell me this !!
does the distributor have a vacuum advance can on it with a vacuum line connected or is it all electronically controlled.

#10 ·
RaiderRacer said:
1994 E-350 with a 5.8 351. Van has 150,000 miles well maintained no power. Does not burn oil or loose coolant. Complete tune up. I have had it to all the dealers in the area, no clue. I am think no timing advance. How do I check?, dealer says they can not. Any help and or thoughts!

Carl
whack a timing light on it first and see if the timing /vac is working and where it's actually timed , hows the compression test out ?
get back to us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.