Ford Forums banner

tyres - AGAIN

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  AU XR8 
#1 ·
This subject has probably been done to death but the original SP9000 235/45/17 on my XR8 are due to be changed (55000 kms)
I am getting pi$$ed off with the average tyre retailer saying this are good these are crap then go to the next one and he will say no these are good and these are sh1t
Driving style - typical XR - week day commuter - weekend warrior
The ones that I have put ON THE FINAL LOOK AT LIST IN THIS ORDER
Dunlop SP3000
Dunlop FM901
Federal SS595
Pirelli P5000 Drago
Goodyear REVSPEC
Yokahama A539
Falken FK-451
SAVA INTENSA - they say these are German made by Goodyear????

#2 ·
Alan B said:
This subject has probably been done to death but the original SP9000 235/45/17 on my XR8 are due to be changed (55000 kms)
I am getting pi$$ed off with the average tyre retailer saying this are good these are crap then go to the next one and he will say no these are good and these are sh1t
Driving style - typical XR - week day commuter - weekend warrior
The ones that I have put ON THE FINAL LOOK AT LIST IN THIS ORDER
Dunlop SP3000
Dunlop FM901
Federal SS595
Pirelli P5000 Drago
Goodyear REVSPEC
Yokahama A539
Falken FK-451
SAVA INTENSA - they say these are German made by Goodyear????
You could also add EAGLE F1 GS-D3, I couldn't get any Dunlop SP9000's after doing 2 tyre walls in an incident on Parramatta Road and so decided to try the EAGLE F1 GS-D3, they are supurb tyres, at around $470 each they are also much cheaper than the Dunlop SP9000's, and comparible to the cost of SP3000's. After doing the FPV Eastern Creek day they guys from JB were also impressed at the performance and grip of the tyres, maybe worth a look too

#3 ·
Motor usually do a performance tyre test each year...I remember they did it last year. I don't have last years copy anymore though. You would think they would know what they are talking about....or would you.

What made you cut the list to these ones? Reading up about them? Dealer suggestions? Previous experience?

#4 ·
Mate, I hear all the same things but in my experience with HSVs and Tickfords I have almost always stuck with the original tyre. While the SP9000s have their negatives, I can't think of any reason to change. I'm surprised they're not on your list.

Think about how much development and time was spent with the 9000s - much of it with Bowe driving!

#5 ·
Aussie Pete said:
Mate, I hear all the same things but in my experience with HSVs and Tickfords I have almost always stuck with the original tyre. While the SP9000s have their negatives, I can't think of any reason to change. I'm surprised they're not on your list.

Think about how much development and time was spent with the 9000s - much of it with Bowe driving!
Problem is AP that Dunlop are lazy pieces of shit and couldn't be bothered bringing enough of them into the country. Go to almost every tyre dealer and all they have been saying for the last month is, middle of next month, well I couldn't wait that long, I am sure JB wouldn't have let me on the track with side wall damage and I can tell you so far the Goodyears are better in dry and wet. Besides Alan B is after 17" and the XR8's come with SP3000's, not SP9000's

#6 ·
Originally posted by Aussie Pete:
I'm surprised they're not on your list.
I have been told the SP9000 are obsolete and replaced by the new SP3000
There may be a few left but the 3000 are a lot cheaper then the 9000 - Bob Jane has them on special at $240 ea and I will probably go with them as they are OE on the BAXR's

#7 ·
Well, funny you say that because my Dunlop dealer can get them regardless. I asked ahead of time hearing about the shortage and he goes "How many do you want?"

It's called being proactive. Most dealers like Beaurepaires have set supply channels and seldom seek other sources.

Interesting to remember the Wheels tests. I used the 15 inch results to buy Yoko A539s for the EB and it was the best thing I've done. Who did win the 17 inch test again?

#8 ·
SP3000 is the XR tyre now, but SP9000 still goes on the upper end vehicles. Ford cost cutting.....

#10 ·
Alan B said:
I have been told the SP9000 are obsolete and replaced by the new SP3000
There may be a few left but the 3000 are a lot cheaper then the 9000 - Bob Jane has them on special at $240 ea and I will probably go with them as they are OE on the BAXR's
Bob Jane will tell you that because they cannot get SP9000's for at least another 2 weeks, the SP3000A is the replacement for the SP3000. SP9000's only just came out to replace the SP8000's so I dont think they would obsolete them with a lower grade product, the SP3000A are only W grade whilst the SP9000's are ZR which is a much high speed rating

#11 ·
Aussie Pete

The only place really I can get a full set of the SP9000 is at a Ford Dealer at a smidge under $500 per bag
the local dunlop dealer said he could hunt them up for me but it would take a while and actually Beaurepaires said NO CAN'T GET EM!!

#12 ·
Aussie Pete said:
Well, funny you say that because my Dunlop dealer can get them regardless. I asked ahead of time hearing about the shortage and he goes "How many do you want?"

It's called being proactive. Most dealers like Beaurepaires have set supply channels and seldom seek other sources.

Interesting to remember the Wheels tests. I used the 15 inch results to buy Yoko A539s for the EB and it was the best thing I've done. Who did win the 17 inch test again?
Where is this Dunlop dealer AP, I tried 2 Dunlop dealers, 1 at Penrith and the other on the Northern Beaches and both of them rang around and said no go until after 15th October

#13 ·
My tyres have over 8000 klms on them and still have 2/3rds life, even after eastern creek AND I am not known for my conservative driving style.

How do you get 5500klms out of a set of dunlops?

#14 ·
Originally posted by eightoftwelve:
How do you get 5500klms out of a set of dunlops?
It is actually 55,000 kms I would be spewin if I only got 5,500.
I use to get more than that out of a back tyre on my GSXR1100 when I had it.

I am the second owner of the XR (it was a fomoco car) with the completed service history 1 tyre was replaced in 06/2002 which is brand new in the boot never been on the tarmac and the 4 road tyres are finally shot on the inside edge
Probably being a Ford exec car is probably was not driven to aggressively but probably back and forth to snooty lunchons and publicity stuff
As they always say keep them rotated every 5000 k, wheel alignments every 10000 and 38-40 psi in them and don't abuse them

#16 ·
Originally posted by viper8literV10:
What!!! You must be the only one on here who doesn't Alan! :angel:
Ordered me some new bags for fitting tomorrow SP3000's might just have to abuse the old tyres tonight......
Done some more digging and found that you can still get the SP9000 in Brisbane from a Dunlop dealer the cheapest I was quoted was $368 ea and he has a set.

#17 ·
55000klms is good distance for a 15" long life tyre like a bridgestone.

You should not expect much more thatn 25000klms from these Dunlops.

Stating that, if you get heaps more then well done!! But why did you get a FPV if you don't give it to it?

Does anyone else agree with my tyre life expectancy?

PS, sorry for misreading the distance from your first post.

#19 ·
Bluedriver said:
DGROMS.com I was at Big O's tyres in Liverpool 2mths back, he bragged he parrallel imports the Dunlops at a great price.
Thanks i'll check them out next time. I have done 15k on the front Dunlops and they still look new even after the FPV day, I think I will be getting closer to 40k out of fronts, but a far bit less out of rears

#20 ·
I got 20,000 out of the rears and they were knackered (are we allowed to say knackered on here?)
27,000 out of the fronts, but was an allignment and inflation prob, but if i had got another 5000 out of them that would have been good.
Second set of rears now have 9,000 km on them, if I get to 20,000 again I'll be doing well.
There is a problem with my car, if I push the right pedal too far, the back wheels brake loose. Should I go back to my dealer?

#21 ·
Originally posted by TS50:
There is a problem with my car, if I push the right pedal too far, the back wheels brake loose. Should I go back to my dealer?
If that is a problem with all of them the dealers would be run of their feet :D
Originally posted by eightoftwelve:
But why did you get a FPV if you don't give it to it?
I do but there is a time and place for most things like in the middle of a ricers convention

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.