Ford Forums banner

Changing Pads on a AU III

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Peter Mandl 
#1 ·
Was helping a friend today change pads on his AU III, ( I have changed a lot of pads over the years, did the drivers side no probs.
Got to the Passanger side, and mate, no mater what we have tried, the two bolts holding the Calipers to the strut assembly wont losen. Looked on the back of the bolt, there is no "L" on them, so I gather they are not left Hand thread, but boy are they done up tight. Any advise on how to losen them ( and just clarify that they are not left hand thread)
As I siad I have changed pads heaps of times, and never ever had this prob. The Drivers side bolts were tight, but a little gentle persuasion and the were loose.
Makes for a frustrating day
If any one has any advise, we would apreciate it

#4 ·
Yep TS50 more weeties mate.

I did mine a couple of months back and they are the tightest I have ever experienced.
Upon having to struggle all the way to last bit of thread I noticed a good portion of dried up yellow liquid I suppose similar to Loctite.
Great for safety obviously and like you I have done plenty of pad changes etc.

#6 ·
Bluedriver said:
Yep TS50 more weeties mate.

I did mine a couple of months back and they are the tightest I have ever experienced.
Upon having to struggle all the way to last bit of thread I noticed a good portion of dried up yellow liquid I suppose similar to Loctite.
Great for safety obviously and like you I have done plenty of pad changes etc.
To quote the workshop manual:

NOTE: Old bolts must not be re-used, as they are vital safety components that have a micro encapsulated adhesive on the bolt thread.

Cheers
Russ

#8 ·
I used the same bolts, and just cleaned them up with a wire brush and then applied locktite to them. Every time I go to undo them is just as hard as the first time.

Don't believe everything you read in a manual - if I did then I would still be trying to work out "Never undoes widget device close head". This was in an old instruction manual I found - translation is "Never undo this bolt" LOL.

#9 ·
JC said:
I used the same bolts, and just cleaned them up with a wire brush and then applied locktite to them. Every time I go to undo them is just as hard as the first time.
was talking to a couple of the senior service guys at my local dealership, they never change the bolts, just clean them and locktite them.

Thanks guys, I just needed to get a newer 15 mm socket, old one was too sloppy on bolt and i was too worried about wrecking the head.

#11 ·
Guys as Russell mentioned the workshop manual recommends replacing the bolts.
Yes this is the engineers mentality but also it covers their butt if any thing does work itself loose, especially that many of these jobs are done by independent workshops and the DIY.
The bolt thread does lose its bite or knife edge locking but obviously with Loctite re applied it won't let go.
When I was doing a lot of Suspension fitting for a previous employer long ago we went to a Holden training seminar when the IRS first came out on the VP. They were very stern at us Suspension guys telling us all bolts at the rear end must be replaced when renewing bushes for camber correction and a like and also the front end.
We all looked at each other in amazement as this had never been done. It is logical but tell that to the average mechanic.

Sorry for the long post

G
#15 ·
TS50 said:
Was helping a friend today change pads on his AU III, ( I have changed a lot of pads over the years, did the drivers side no probs.
Got to the Passanger side, and mate, no mater what we have tried, the two bolts holding the Calipers to the strut assembly wont losen. Looked on the back of the bolt, there is no "L" on them, so I gather they are not left Hand thread, but boy are they done up tight. Any advise on how to losen them ( and just clarify that they are not left hand thread)
As I siad I have changed pads heaps of times, and never ever had this prob. The Drivers side bolts were tight, but a little gentle persuasion and the were loose.
Makes for a frustrating day
If any one has any advise, we would apreciate it[/QUOTE

I had same problem, some jerk used locktite on the threads, you will just have to use a longer lever on your spanner and lots of muscle.

Peter South Africa
]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.