Ford Forums banner

Steering Racks

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Walkinshaw 
#1 ·
My steering rack is leaking fluid at an alarming rate. The switch was stuffed a month or two back and i changed that which stoped the leaking. Now its leaking as it was before. I cant pinpoint where its leaking from but its loosing fluid rather fast. I have an EF rack here and was wondering if the racks are interchangeable? I noticed when i tried to put the EF wheel into my car and onto the EA rack, the splines on the steering column were diffrent to than on the EA intermediate shaft.

has anyone looked at the two? Will i need to buy an EF intermediate shaft and put the EF wheel in?

Cheers

#3 ·
I looked at the EF/EA racks side by side on the floor, and as far as I can tell, the EF rack should bolt straight in. The intermediate shaft is different on the EF, being thinner and having different splines.

#4 ·
I know this isn't constructive, but "PS racks suck!"

-Dave-

#6 ·
The intermediate shaft is different on the EF
Therefore you will need the intermediate shaft.

#7 ·
yeah i would put the EF rack in, but i found the problem. for some unknonw reason the switch was actualy loose, and requred another 2turns to tighten it fully.

I need new switch gear for the EF wheel before i can put it in as the indicator switch broke in the accident, locked it on highbeam and allsorts of things. New switch gear, intermediate shaft and i will put the EF rack+column in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.