Ford Forums banner

5ltr EB won't start

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Beej 
#1 ·
Hi folks - I'm in need of some advice.

After some minor cooling issues, I recently changed the thermostat in my 5ltr 92' EB Fairmont (4 speed auto). I took it for a longish run (100k trip), and after a while she settled nicely. However, on my way back I stopped into a servo to fuel up and lo & behold - she would'nt start.

The battery is a ubeaut and only 2 months old, the battery leads were secure,
the dash lights all came up, with clicking occuring at the battery when trying to engage. The Smartlock LED was an occassional participant in 20 or so attempts. Eventually it started, and got me home - but has'nt started since. There is slight play in the ignition tumbler, but not enough (I reckon) to provide poor contact as current is making it to the battery, whaddya reckon? starter motor? ignition? (I hope not coz it's sealed, and I can't even see a way to get it off the steering colomn to check).

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated (she's a primo Scorpion, and a waste to be parked up sick).

Thanks
Beej

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the car turning over? If not,

Maybe starter motor. Mine went not long ago. The solonoid wasnt engaging the cog to the flywheel. I could hear the thing turn but not engage.

If it is turning over than I would assume coil or dizzy issues. Best try an mobile auto electrician.

For your sake I hope it is the first situation. Let me know either way!

#3 ·
Hi mate. Yeah, if it's not turning over, and the battery etc is good then it'll be the starter motor. If your keen, pull it off and then remove the solenoid (undo the lead going into the feild housing -motor part-, and then use an impact driver to undo the two screws at the drive end of it). Note which way it comes off.

The problem will be in the solenoid cap (the black bakelite part), so undo the two screws there, then un-solder the wires on either side, holding the solenoid upside down (to prevent solder running down inside it). After taking off the cap, you will see the contacts. These will most likely be burnt and worn out.

You can still buy solenoid kits from Bursons etc., so its just a case of running a kit through it. Or you could just get the whole starter re-coed. - Cheers, Coxy

#4 ·
Hi fellas

Well, after another 2 dozen or so failed attempts at trying to start her up, I called a Mobile Mechanic and advised him that I thought the starter motor was at fault. He rocked around this morning, hopped into the big ford, turned the key, and sure as a mongrel - it started straightaway, and for the next 10 minutes I couldn't get it to - not work.

Mr. Mobile Mechanic earned $45 bucks for no more than 3 seconds work.

So after I stopped swearing at him AND the car, I apologised (to the car), at which point this pimp of a mechanic felt obliged to offer some kind of diagnosis & prognosis for my money, so he tells me that it is likely that the ignition barrel has a contact fault, but, I still may want to suss out the starter motor. So, I've just dropped the car off at my regular autoshop for them to have a looksee.

I really appreciate your guys expedient advice and guidance. I'm new to the forum, and am about to post pics I've my Fairmont, and my brothers XR8 on cardomain.

Cheers, Beej.

1992 EB Fairmont 5.0 ltr V8 (302W), Full GT Bodykit, Lowered, Cragars (Quicktricks), Scorpion interior, Momo Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Full electrics, ABS, JVC CD/MP3 Player/amped 10" Subs, Re-sprayed (over top of spack-looking door mouldings, pinstriping and chrome strip).

#5 ·
Well, sorry if we couldnt pinpoint the problem. I do hope you nut it out. Cant wait to see pics when you get them up. Check out my site when you can too. (see sig below)

#6 ·
If you take the starter motor out and connect it straight to the battery and it works, at least you'll
know it's not the starter. Ignition barrel might be the next port-of-call then.

#7 ·
Yeah thanks rossi, that's exactly what I've instructed my regular Mechy to do - either way, I'm not keen on what replacement parts will cost, over here (NZ) V8EB parts are rarer than honest politicans.

Actually, if anyone out there has a solid source of ford performance parts and components - and is entrepreneurally inclined - they could make theyselves rich real quick over here.

Blueoval - your ride rocks. I'll give you a holler when I post my pics.

Thanks again for advice and support folks. (I'll let you know what the verdict is in a couple of days.

Beej

#9 ·
Guess what? yep, the starter motor was the culprit. My Mechy is sussing out a reco deal.

(I feel like tracking down that smug little mobile mechanic, and getting him to mow my lawns for the $45 callout fee that he didn't even earn - sheesh)

Thanks again fellas.

#10 ·
hehe. sounds simple doesnt it bro. well at least you know where the problem is. Be sure to expect a nice and large price for a new unit. I paid $450 brand new starter and I got it fitted. I would say a new unit in NZ would be worth that alone plus getting it fitted.

If you find the hua tiko, tell him to kihi mi te como (I think thats how its spelt, you know what I mean bro).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.