Ford Forums banner

Ignition coil wireing

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sleepwalker 
#1 ·
Yesterday, just as i was pulling into my driveway, the car stalled. I tried starting it again with no luck. Changing the leads, distributor cap and the rottor button didn't do anything (even though they were overdue for a change). The fuel pump is still pumping and there's pressure in the hose that goes into the fuel rail.
So I grabbed one of the old leads, whacked it on the ignition coil and plugged a spark plug in the other end to check if the coil is pumping anything out and BINGO. No spark. I checked all the wires and one of them has been striped and wrapped in iso tape. All i could manage was to squeeze it a bit (can't get to it from the top). I tried ceanking it and it started. This morning when i got up couldn't start it again and no matter how much i played with the wire, I couldn't get it going.
My biggest problem is getting to the coil. I have an ef manifold on the ea motor and there is no access to the coil. I'm hopeing of replacing the coil with an aftermarket high performance coil and rewireing it. Can someone tell me if the coil is fairly accessible from underneath the car. I can't start it so i can whack it on the ramps to check but if it's doable I've got an army of strong overfed mates that are willing to push the car up on the ramps. I just can't be bothered pulling the manifold off and putting it back on, too much hassle for an ignition coil. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also can anyone recommend a good ignition coil or should I stick with what I've got???
Thanx

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.