Ford Forums banner

Buying a new diff...

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Kerazy S-Pak 
#1 ·
Hi all, Im just after some advice on getting a replacement diff from the wreckers- what should I be looking for/what should i expect? Some wreckers Ive looked at have diffs sitting outside on racks, and i dont know if this is a good thing. (Keeping in mind that I have no idea what Im talking about): My gf's dad, who is going to swap over the diffs said I should buy a diff that has the axels attatched (or something), and isn't 'full of crap' on the 'inside', preferably one that the wreckers have to take out of a car, as opposed to one thats just been sitting there for ages.

Any advice on what to look for mechanically/price wise would be greatly appreciated. Also its just an ED 3.08 diff im after.
Thnx. =)

#2 ·
Yep make sure it's got the axles in, a 3.08 is common as dog's balls and I doubt they'd take them apart anyway.
Basically, hold the wheels still and wiggle the tailshaft yoke - you'll probably get a little play, but if it moves more than a few mm before engaging the gears, it's getting a bit flogged out.
Also try to move the axles inside the casing - if they move, the bearings are severely bad :p
Other than that, just stick your finger in through the filler hole and see if you can find any dirty crap or metal filings inside the casing.
AFAIK the EA/EB/ED 3.08 is exactly the same unit...

#3 ·
OK, thanks for the reply mEB.
Ive ended up having to get a 3.08 without the axles, as my car has ABS and the wrckers didnt have any diffs with ABS ones. Cos of lack of axles and trouble associated with swapping off my diff onto the new one, they charged me $100 for the diff, (significantly lower price than normal i was lead to believe) but what the hell do i know about diffs? =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.