Ford Forums banner

302 intake?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  creature3 
#1 ·
Can I put a carb intake on a 1987 302 that has fuel injection on it? I wont have to change the heads or anything?

Thanks.........

#5 ·
Aaaahh, I see. How come the rules say no fuel injection? Is it a "classic" rule or something? Or does the engine have to be in original trim?.

To change from F.I. to carb shouldn't involve a head change, as the injectors are probably in the inlet manifold. It is rare that the injectors are actualy in the head. The major alterations will be in the electronic area, as F.I. needs a pulse to tell it when to operate. Basicaly it will mean ripping out all the EFI electronics, and replacing that with stabdard wiring to suit an "old fashioned" distributor. It will mean a new inlet manifold, as the EFI ones are designed differently to the Carb ones, as far as swirl and tract length are concerened. Std manifolds for 302's and 351's are the same. If you are racing, you may need a different manifold though. The basic answer is: no, you don't need to change heads.

Happy racing

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.